PDA

View Full Version : Computer Animation Festival - Too Many Re-Runs

jeremybirn
08-13-2008, 07:53 PM
In the past, I've always gone to the Electronic Theater in a trusting way -- I don't even read the program ahead of time, I just go and expect to see some good stuff. This year, they raised the price a lot on the Animation Festival, but it's 7 screenings instead of 1. Sounds like a lot more, right?

I went to the first 2 hour screening on Tuesday morning. There were a few things (like one student film that seemed really long and pointless) which I wish they had been relegated to a 2nd screening room like last year, but overall most of it was good or great.

Screening 2 was Tuesday afternoon, so I went to that, but when the films started playing, I was disappointed to see that most of them were re-runs of the films shown in screening 1 in the morning! I found in the program the schedule of which films are playing in each of the 7 screenings, and most of them (especially the ones on tuesday and wednesday) are just re-runs playing the same clips again and again. There are a few different films that only play once, too, but you'd have to watch and re-watch many many hours worth of material if you wanted to get to see the new stuff. When they even started playing that long slow student film again that they had just played in the morning screening, we got up and left, as did some other people.

I wanted to post this to warn others who might have thought you were supposed to go to more than one of the screenings like a film festival, that's not how it works!

Registering for the Computer Animation Festival got us into a terrific series of talks about sterioscopic 3D, which were very useful and interesting. I hope this is the only year they screw-up the Electronic Theater like this though, I can't imagine what anyone was even thinking in planning these redundant but slightly different screenings instead of just showing the full ET in one sitting with no re-runs.

-jeremy

Youpi
08-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I’m a bit disappointed also by CAF. I went to see 1 show. It was really good screening. Indeed, when I read the program, none of other screening will be completely different.

I also really prefer ET like last year.

What I feel this year is that Siggraph 2008 is full of good ideas or tries to change things, but most of them, except for CAF, are half done. I’m wondering who see the difference between previous Siggraph and this one…

By the way, Los Angeles Convention Center appears really small in front of San Diego one. Too many open spaces, like bookstore or sandbox are now near invisible in small rooms.

Anyone knows why exhibition and booth are smaller this year ?

Indeed, I have a lot of fun and there so many things to see !

MrPositive
08-13-2008, 10:12 PM
An absolutely ridiculous format has caused me to miss half the animations. Do they really think I'm going to sit through that bear bestiality (kind of joking) video 4 times to see every single video?

jpiette
08-15-2008, 12:47 AM
I was on the Animation Festival Jury but I only got a chance to pop into one screening. I don't like the new setup, and I told one of the one of the conference organizers that it would've been better to keep it the way it had been in the past. They love to hear feedback by the way, I encourage everyone to discuss any issues you have with them. I love the Kodiak Theater but I thought it was really unecessary for us to have to be practically strip-searched before we could go inside. I liked how it was before when groups were screened so you could go view a chunk, then go do something and come back for another chunk. As it is I only saw a tiny fraction of what there was this year because they didn't repeat any of their themed screenings.*sigh*

Even worse were the people that came in late and stood in the middle of the isles loudly complaining to each other that they couldn't see because it was dark. Uh, excuse me? You walked in AFTER it started, just discretely sneak into a seat when the screen gets bright and be done with it, don't stand there and gripe loudly. Talk about obnoxious....:argh:

gnarlycranium
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah, why fix what ain't broke? The electronic theater ticket was expensive, but I dealt with it-- I just went, cause I knew it would be darn cool. This year? I couldn't even tell what was going on, and didn't bother with it at all. The animation theater previously had themed categories that cycled in different rooms-- self-explanatory categories like Games, Music, etc. The screening titles this time around were downright arcane. And what was wrong with just being able to drop by, kick back, and take in some shows when you're between lectures and want to rest your feet and kill some time? With multiple, conveniently located rooms and clearly posted schedules with a handy program brochure, you could skip what you'd already seen, catch what you missed, and it was FINE. I don't get it.

malducin
08-16-2008, 03:23 AM
My guess is they wanted it to become a filmfestival so regular people in LA (not going for SIGGRAPH) would buy tickets to see the shows.

There were a ton of problems as well. I wanted to see the Studio reels invited screenings on Tuesday, turns out the time printed in the locator was wrong! By half an hour so I only caught the last 15 min. or so. Of course the specific CAF schedule was right but what's the point if you find out only until you go to Nokia.

And why not have the shows run continuosly! After missing the Studio Eye Candy I thought I stayed to watch a little bit of the competition screening. Guess what? Next show didn't start like for 50 min. Argghhh!

Today Friday I wasn't let inside Nokia for the awards repeat screening, because during registration my full festival ticket was misprinted. I was able to get in by my main badge that said full conference the previous days but not Friday. Had to go all the way back to Registration to complain and get the CAF ticket reprinted but way too late then. And I wasn't the only one. The strip search is a mess.

I agree with Leah, the point is having at least 2 animation theatres running continuosly so so can catch stuff during the week.
I'll make sure tocomplain to SIGGRAPH about this.

Buexe
08-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I also find it irritating that I have to watch ALL blocks to see ALL movies, WTF? I mean there are already a ton of classes and techical paper panel going on at the same time, so I wouldn`t spend half my week watching reruns.

Titus
08-16-2008, 06:16 PM
What I find annoying is they do all of this at the Nokia Theater, so you have to go out of the convention center and pass thru metal detectors to watch some harmless animations.

jeremybirn
08-16-2008, 06:20 PM
To add to my comments, now that I'm home:

- There'd be no problem with them having a group of nominees that got screened several times, if they could just keep them as a block that was separately scheduled and titled. It was the attempt to intermix re-runs with the films running for the first time that failed so badly.

- I like the idea of SIGGRAPH adding a new track including screenings and courses for people who are interesting in industry production issues. The papers and courses are so geared towards programmers that people who don't code don't really get their money's worth out of full conference, so a track for all the artists and content creators is a welcomed addition to the show.

- They did have some other screenings, besides the competition screenings, that some people found interesting. After seeing a clip from it, I didn't go see the Star Wars Clone Wars show, but things like that do add value to the Computer Animation Festival.

-jeremy

cspangler
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I was disappointed when I realized the screenings varied. Friday was the day I scheduled to chill out and watch the CAF. It stinks to think that I missed some really cool stuff earlier in the week. Also, spending most of Friday watching the CAF, meant missing out on some sessions. And I really hated having to go through that scanner. The Nokia theater, did have impressive projection and audio - seeing the Terminator 2 at the Stan Winston tribute in there was great.

The ET was like a "special event" to see some awesome work - the screening format of this year seemed to take the "special event" part of it away. It was also nice (in the past conferences) to have the animation screenings in the convention center- really easy to stop in, relax and be entertained on the way to/from the other conference activities.

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.