PDA

View Full Version : Save changes on Reference Object

chayanvinayak
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi ,

I am using skeleton of a model as a Reference object ( in another scene).
I am adding few attributes and making few changes on skeleton (reference object) but
these changes are only stored in the scene, not on Reference object itself.

Is there any way I can save changes in scene as well as Reference objects.

Thanks
Chayan Vinayak

theflash
08-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Generally a reference would be read only because it's just a reference and not the actual object. But I wonder why you have a skeleton as a reference to geometry instead of the other way. Considering how the workflow would be generally a model would be a reference for the skeleton structure. I am afraid that might not be much helpful.

jdj
08-24-2008, 11:42 AM
One major point with importing something as a reference is that it is to large extents change-proof. This is one way of "abuse-proofing" for instance a character rig to protect nodes from accidentally be deleted, reorganized etc.

Any general change you want to make on your rig has to be done in the rig file in order for it to be saved into the rig file.

However if you want a main rig for instance and then tweaks for individual characters, you can have multiple levels of referencing. In a clean scene, import your rig and then do the character-specific tweaks and save each of these customized rigs into new "middle" files. These files can then be referenced into the scenes where you want them. In this way each middle-file contains a version of your rig and you can customize each while the other rigs are protected. If you want to make changes that affect all rigs, you do so in the original file.

Cheers
/ Daniel

Me109
08-26-2008, 02:33 PM
reference editor --> save reference edits ???

jdj
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
reference editor --> save reference edits ???

Oh man - I've never seen this one before! Sounds like the way to go for chayanvinayak.

Cheers
/ Daniel

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.