PDA

View Full Version : Dude having a shootout...

_Icarus
04-25-2002, 01:17 PM
Well the other day I did a quick scetch and today desided to load it up in to Photoshop and play around. I am not much of a 2D artist but I am doing this to brush up on my 3D. Critique and mainly advise on making this better and not making it look like drawing cutout on a 3D 2D background:)

Thanx ahead :)

http://www.english-magazine.com/2dGuy.jpg

Risibility
04-26-2002, 03:10 AM
Drawing Classes :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

m_dv
04-26-2002, 06:02 AM
that's not nice what you just said, but i never said it wasn't funny :p

_Icarus
04-26-2002, 09:19 AM
mmm... I guess it is drawing lessons for me :hmm:

aor
04-26-2002, 11:50 AM
hey, ya gotta start somewhere right? personally i don't like drawing classes/lessons... i think u can learn everything u need to on ur own... IMHO, art is too personally to really be "taught" - of course i'm not a very good artist :)

keep it up!

gryn
04-26-2002, 02:13 PM
wow, that's some cruel stuff. The fact that you made the picture in the first place says something. I think you can only gain from drawing classes. Most schools will probably try to get you to unlearn your old habits and start from scratch, which is good in alot of cases. Or just keep practicing... save some cash. Try to plan out your poses and scenes first before rushing in to finish them.

-why is it I never take my own advice....

10n6
04-26-2002, 02:23 PM
It all comes to those who practice and don't give up. When comments fly and you keep going you're a real artist. Try small and work up.

I have just started live drawing again beginning with people I know. They're a good free source for sketching and are more than likely to give you a hand.

:thumbsup: look forward to seeing more

Cgkoko
04-26-2002, 02:58 PM
People, there is a reason for that symbol:thumbsdow .I would use that too.Risibility havn't said anything wrong.Icarus you need drawing classes, i beleave. Knowledge of academic drawing is a must for any 2d artist.That doesn't mean that you have to give up.Practice...:wip:

_Icarus
04-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Come to think of it, this is crap. I did a small, quick sketch. Then without considering shading I quickly difined curves :thumbsdow
Then I scaned the image into photoshop and tryed to quickly colour it (which by the way I never done before) slaped some colours and traced contours with a very thick brush and put it up here. So Risibility: not a bad coment but you could have gave me something constructive:beer:
Anyway, thanx for all the comments and consider this thread closed cause I tend to rush things and post really unfinished quick work.
Check out my Peasant warrior thread instead, cause there, I at least tryed :)
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6715

Dequami
04-26-2002, 11:53 PM
Wow, no one gave crit at all. You all basically said that the piece sux. That's messed up, funny but messed up. I'm not that great of an artist myself but i try. What works best is to study anatomy drawings or humans in general. There is a lot that is wrong with the anatomy but it can be fixed, hmmm, try putting tracing paper over the original and see what can be fixed, porportion and whatnot. You can also try doing the pose in the mirror.

Drawing class doesn't really do much unless you practice, and you CAN practice at home, what is useful about drawing classes are you get crit to help you become a better artist and take techniques from other people and apply them to your style. That's how i see it anyway. I hope that helps a little. I'm still working on trying to give good critiques as well, hehe. I still have a lot to learn.

gryn
04-27-2002, 06:08 AM
oh yeah, forgot the crit.... I don't see much wrong with proprtion... things seem to line up fine... except maybe the legs look at little short, his spine looks a bit too straight and his face looks too generalized and expressionless. Other than that the piece looks good. It does look promising. Maybe you should redo this image and post it in this thread. Take some time and plan out the pose though, try to make it as natural as possible. Granted in most cases immitating your desired pose would help but here I think you may hurt yourself.

Try to imagine what the character is doing, what direction he's headed and so forth, he's either supposed to be falling or flying back but it looks like he's kind of sitting on air. I'd maybe ditch the sidewalk and wall behind him for now too and focus on the character. Do a few thumbnail and rough sketches and try to recapture the pose and plan out his direction and weight.

Redo the image... I want to see ; }

take your time, unlike what I'm doing with this post.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.