PDA

View Full Version : Server Side User Prefs?

AtrusDni
08-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, I tried searching for this but didnt find much information (maybe im using the wrong search terms). Anyways, my goal is to Save and Use a users prefs folder on a server. Reason being if an artist needs to switch machines, they login and are able to use all their tools and settings on a different machine.

Has anyone done this? and can anyone point me in the right direction? I can query the user name fine, thats a piece of cake. The problem im having is finding a way to change where maya looks for the user prefs folder. Im assuming is an environment variable right? If I change where it looks to load the prefs, and the user saves a shelf, does it save in the same location I tell it to look?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. - Ideally it would be great to save the prefs in the normal location and on the server, but read only from the server. If the server goes down it can resort to the backup on the users machine, or something to that effect.

GiantG
08-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Have you checked this thread?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=89&t=662590

AtrusDni
08-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately , according to Maya help, that wont work. Unless im misunderstadning it:

Environment Variables

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/Maya2008/docs/Maya2008/en_US/DeveloperResources/images/i_icon_16x17.gif File path variables

MAYA_APP_DIR (Windows and Linux)

This variable defines your personal Maya application directory. This directory contains your projects and other important items:

the prefs directory
the projects directory
mayaRenderLog.txt
mayaLog
mayaJournal
the scripts directory
(Maya.env, if you choose to create it, can also reside in this directory)

You can only set MAYA_APP_DIR from the operating system; you cannot use Maya.env. If you do not set it, the default values are: ~username/maya (Linux) or drive:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\maya (Windows).

Is it possible to set the prefs directory using maya.env?

ashishdantu
08-13-2008, 09:06 AM
hi AtrusDni

you can... since you have domain / logins etc, you can have login scripts setup , so when an user logins, get his login name, you can edit the MAYA_APP_DIR = "t:/pipelib/users/%username%" (< pseudo code)

this way when ever a user logins to machineA or machineB, his env is updated to his folder in the server... and when maya boots, it will read the prefs for him...from their folders.

but i 'm not sure how difficult it is to setup a logon script...on a domain server.... i havent done it myself ...

referred thread > this one (http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=493267) ....and this (http://www.djx.com.au/blog/customizing-maya/)
but if you manage to do it, pls share your method tooo..... ;)

AtrusDni
08-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the reply ashishdantu. I was kinda figuring it would have to be setup like that. I was hoping there was an easier way to do it in maya, with maybe the userSetup.mel, but if this is the way I have to do it then so be it. Ill keep this post updated with how it goes. Thanks for the information!

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2008, 05:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.