PDA

View Full Version : Preferred UV unwrapping

svero
08-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Recently I've been getting a bit more comfortable with the texture editor in XSI. Before I was just letting zbrush or some external app set the UV's for me. I've recently watched some of the xsi unwrapping videos where they tag clusters of edges and disconnect the mesh and then get explicit uvs for the object before reconnecting. I've tried some similar approaches using clusters of polygons etc...

I'm still pretty weak at it, but I'm curious. For those who don't use a 3rd party tool to unwrap or setup their UVS what is your workflow? Any tips to share? How do you approach it inside xsi?

McNistor
08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
do a search for "roadkill"

svero
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I've installed Python, Pywin32, and run the script that the documents suggest, but xsi refuses to recognize python. At least.. I think that's the problem. I've placed the roadkill plugin in the plugins dir but it won't run. Just gives me an error. (invalid plugin) Roadkill itself is also installed. No clue what to do next. Seems I've done everything in the documentation.

patrickhennessey
08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
I can't help you with the direct link between XSI and Roadkill, but you can use Roadkill as a standalone program and transfer the .obj's back and forth.

Roadkill is an amazing tool for organic and simple box modeling unwrapping, makes life so much easier.

Sarford
08-14-2008, 01:52 PM
This video tutorial from digital tutors was a big help for me in understanding the UV process in XSI.

UV Layout in XSI (http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=1592&cat=101&page=1)

adrencg
08-14-2008, 05:30 PM
To answer simpy, as amazing as XSI is, UV manipulation sucks. Even Blender has awesome unwrapping. The relax feature is just about useless also.

Get Blender and unwrap from there, or use Roadkill standalone. Great program.

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2008, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.