PDA

View Full Version : Ribs in Rig Setups?

redstagg16
06-01-2003, 04:18 AM
Ive been thinking about the rig beneath dynamic characters in the matrix and also some of the harry potter scenes and lotr's.

It just seems everytime a character bends at the waist or bends side to side, it never looks quite right, my theory is that without ribs in the rig and just a bone type setup the character strechs slightly on the side which your bending towards, where as with ribs one side condenses and the other expans?

Only acured to be in the neo and hundred agents fight scene, his torso didnt move right, and also when in harry pothead 1, the guy who looks like piggy from lord of the flies falls off his broom and something just doesnt look right, a good example of the oppiste here ribs are included in the rig is the cave troll from lord of the rings and also shrek, while these are different systems of animation with muscel and the such, i still think a simple rig needs the consideration of ribs.

What do you guys think and your theorys on having the torso move and bend properlly... any tips and tricks?

Red

-dc-
06-01-2003, 05:03 AM
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. Ribs are always included with a good production rig. That doesn't necessarily mean joints. It could be influence objects, clusters, or any number of other things. The torso is not entirely too difficult to make deform properly in my opinion.

-Joe

redstagg16
06-01-2003, 12:03 PM
well i dont really have that great understanding about rigs thats why i was asking, but its interesting when you say rib influences i never really thought about that, but yeah i just thought maybe rigs without ribs would explain some of the weird looks in some of the animations scenes when theres alot of waist/torso movement.

Red

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.