PDA

View Full Version : Senior Thesis Film tips?

Hugarue
08-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on my senior thesis down at alfred state college in ny, It's a film that takes place primarily in a kitchen, and I wanted it to look like a family that had just put whatever they had in this kitchen, not meant to be super appealing, but like they did what they could with what they had.

The style I am sort of going for is back when pixar made Toy Story 1. I attached a link to Flickr where I threw up some work in progress Images. Don't mind the shadows because I just wanted some light on the scene so I threw up a big area light. But what I was wondering about were tips on the contents of the kitchen, so the objects themselves, should I add or subtract anything?

and also any words of wisdom about short films would be great :) thanks for your time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29353293@N04/?saved=1

oh, I'll post Animation tests and better renders when I get deeper into the year!

aesir
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Well, I finished my thesis last year, so I have one main suggestion. Plan a schedule. Write out every single thing you need to do to finish the film, and then for every week until its done, list out the things you need accomplished by the end of that week. I made my schedule halfway in, and if I hadn't I never would have finished in time. Leave a lot of time for rendering, sound design, and of course tweaking.

Best of luck :)

Hugarue
08-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks aesir, the stills from your short film look beautiful, I love the almost cell shaded photoshop paint simplicity awesomeness of it. yeah.. I'm pretty sure that was a technical description =]

ndat
08-12-2008, 03:29 AM
I don't have much advice but here is a few suggestions to consider.

1) The little cookie creature might benefit from being a bit lighter in color, the detail in it's face gets lost a little.

2) The table tops bevel could be less extreme to make it a bit more natural looking.

3) Possible SS shaders on the butter and cheese if it wouldn't weigh down render times too much.

Good luck and it's looking good so far :).

doffer
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Hmm... I'd say that you should spend a little bit more detail in the texturing.
Take a look at the CG Challange (the latest) video entry called "Coffee Break".
I think it has kinda the style you're after.

I don't know how much you are into all the planning and pre-prod. but perhaps take a look at Celtx. It's a really nice free software, that is designet to make schedules, write manuscripte, make storyboard, and generally just designet to help you with pre-production and the production itself.

Good Luck :)

KyleG
08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Do you have any storyboards or a script? Renders,lighting, and character design are all important things to be thinking about, but lots of that is icing on the cake and your cake is the story, so I would really be fleshing out your story and make sure it really works

Hugarue
08-12-2008, 07:26 PM
hey thanks guys, I appreciate being given other work to check out because everyone knows getting inspired and working towards someone elses work that's better is the easiest way to improve.

I'll definetely check out that software you suggested, I have all my storyboards and such but just as different file types on my computer, especially my schedule I designed would benefit from more interactivity.

thinkin about using some SS shaders for things, this is really my base kitchen and from here I plan on tweaking for hours and hours until it looks right, I'll try out a few things and let ya know how they work out, thanks everyone.

aesir
08-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks aesir, the stills from your short film look beautiful, I love the almost cell shaded photoshop paint simplicity awesomeness of it. yeah.. I'm pretty sure that was a technical description =]

thanks man. Sadly I spent so much time on the visuals that my story, direction, and pacing completely flopped. Dont neglect the basics :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2008, 08:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.