PDA

View Full Version : The Horde, Ward (3D)

ward
06-01-2003, 01:17 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/11590/ward_The_Horde_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/11590/ward_The_Horde.jpg)

Hi Guys,

Here is my latest pic, at this time I tried to concentrate on the mood instead of the photorealism,

bye

ward

Emberghost
06-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Thats beautiful, the landscape is excellently done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nanabaky
06-01-2003, 01:23 AM
hey that's excellent ! is it 2D or 3D ? or a mix of matte and CG...? Beautifull work !

leigh
06-01-2003, 03:29 AM
That looks really fantastic, but there is something odd about the lighting. Are parts of this comped together from different pictures? Because overall the tones seem a bit muddled, and,a s I mentioned, the lighting seems a bit off.

Very cool subject though, I like the pic a lot :)

cutepixie
06-01-2003, 03:52 AM
very excellent...i wanna see that person who's behind the elephant lol .....sorry i'm a curious little pixie :rolleyes:

ward
06-01-2003, 08:53 AM
hiya,

Many thanks for the replys guys. These makes this very cloudy morning (here in West Yorshire/England :() very nice :)

ok, so I was a little bit tired yesterday when I published, so I forgot to write any details.

So, yeah, you are right nanabaky, the background is a kind of matte painting stuff with loads of photos and painting works as well. As you know, you never have the right image/photo you want.
The rest of the image is 3D, the elephants and the troll like creatures (behind the elephs :)) These were made in Maya and rendered with Mentaray and composited in PS.

and a couple of words about the lighting: First of all thanks for your comments, I appreciate it very much. I had to cheat with the light setup a little bit and I had to use some additional fill lights in the foreground also, because the original light setup, - what was based on the mood of background - hid all the little details of the elephants. Therefore I moved the key light a little bit left to show more from the elephants head and made the edge light bigger and I put some fill lights close to the first elephant. I wanted to concentrate the first impression at this time instead of the photorealism.
but anyway, I made some changes and updated the image with the new version, hope you like it:)

bye

ward

FranSaa
06-01-2003, 09:56 AM
I love that rocks, bushes, ground...!
Nice mood!... I agree with the odd lighting comment though...

Beautiful!

f.

my first post: "Environment: Setting for the game Duality" (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64377)

Strob
06-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Wow nice mood.

Only a suggestion: maybe you could add some subtle reflecting light (radiosity) from the rocks on the right to the belly and the legs of the elephant. It coulld define its shape much better.

John Lee
06-01-2003, 10:24 PM
OMG Bal!!!
THis is amazing work it's seamless? Whats cg whats painted?? I can't tell the difference!! It's so great. I love it! Man keep me posted.

I'll give you the :thumbsup:
John

CGmonkey
06-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Nice work :bowdown:

leigh
06-01-2003, 10:42 PM
Well, despite the slight oddities (thanks for the explanation, by the way ;)), I still think this is front page material :)

I've plugged it :thumbsup:

ZVAN
06-01-2003, 10:44 PM
greaT! i feel the mood! welldone! :surprised

Nikos
06-01-2003, 11:07 PM
wow! That's a beautiful image.
Very nice mood. :bounce:

sin
06-01-2003, 11:25 PM
looks fine, but some shadows are not soft and light .. also to improvements. Generally picture :applause:

Vexed
06-02-2003, 02:37 AM
Looks good one suggestion would be a bit of lighting on the weapons. I think that they are supposed to shine a bit err that might be just that I love weapons lol. Anyways great job one of my favs :thumbsup:

DSedov
06-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Great image. I suggest you to move your backgournd light as well. I understand you willingness to show detail, but if they dont match they dont match.

saltank
06-02-2003, 03:03 AM
99% perfect :cool:

NileshXYZ
06-02-2003, 03:22 AM
how about some rain? :)thats if you wanted to add something

saltank
06-02-2003, 03:40 AM
Needs more elephants.. I don't know but two elephants are not really a horde :buttrock: :thumbsup:

PaxtonGerrish
06-02-2003, 03:44 AM
Yea more elephants!!!!
hords and droves of elephants:wip:

starqueen
06-02-2003, 03:52 AM
:eek:

facial
06-02-2003, 04:17 AM
Interesting work, Keep post more. :beer:

Ultragames
06-02-2003, 04:40 AM
If you could make something, that pic again, with the photo realism of your recent Elephants, and the mood of that pick, you would be my 3D god!

cgjie
06-02-2003, 04:50 AM
cool work!
I hope very much to see more elephants render.
The elephant's textures looks great!I would like to enjoy lager
picture about it,thanks a lot!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drool: :drool: :drool:

ceql
06-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Wow, beautiful image! :applause:

dongdong~2002
06-02-2003, 05:43 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

oxyg3n
06-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Looks almost like a dream. I would like to see more elephants too.

DSedov
06-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Id really love to see some wires!!! They should be really nice. And also would give a better idea of what is painted and what is 3d.

As usual great work!

adldesigner
06-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Excellent technique mate. :cool:
I think the lighting does work on the comp.

Dominique
06-02-2003, 07:23 AM
wonderfull,

on thing, the left-posterior leg of the first elephant is 'invisible', and there's a 'black spot' between his two posterior legs taking the attention, ..., if you have any time to fix these,

sure, if animated, we would see the legs better,
just for now, this is an image and it's a bit confusing,

besides of that, it's marvelous,

Dominique

Pixeland-Greco
06-02-2003, 07:35 AM
:applause: :applause: well,that's awsome.And could you tell me how did you make the detail of these rocks??I have so interesting
in these model.Is it 3D or 2D?I mean the rock:) Thanks.

RenaudBellefon
06-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Excellent , and very good atmosphere... :thumbsup:

NeonGuy
06-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Balazs bakter!!!! ha latok toled egy kepet mindig elmegy a kedvem a 3dtol, meg mindentol :)

nagyon jo lett ez a kep! gratula!

Kel Solaar
06-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Excellent ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It's like a painting! :buttrock:

goodlag
06-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Beautifull work! I love it:drool: :love: :thumbsup:

altermind
06-02-2003, 12:14 PM
got a question for you mate..... but.. tell me how you do the terain around the elephents ?

ward
06-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Huhh, the thread has grown bigger since I was here last time.

First of all big thanks to Leigh for the front page!!

and then the answers:

Fran_ss, Strob: Thanks Guys, I made slighly changes on the light setup.

John: Hi Mate, The elephants and the horde on the road is 2D the others are matte painting or photos, or mixture.

CGMonkey, ZVAN: Thanks Guys a lot.

Nikos: Thanks to you also. I was (and still I am) a fan of your works from the late 99s, those worms in the hand looks awesome.

Sin, Vexed: I try to fix them, but these weapons a bit old and already used, that is why these are not really shiny.

I'm going to post close ups and wire soon,

khaleghi
06-02-2003, 04:00 PM
that is great boy
tell me how you create the environmet
thank you.:thumbsup:

ward
06-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Hi again,

Saltank, PaxtonGerrish: there are more than 2 elephants: here is a close up about the horde in the far distance.

http://www.fx2nv.com/ward_The_Horde_piece.jpg

UltraGames: Thanks, but I'm thinking about something different at the moment, but that is gonna be photoreal again. hopefully :)

CGjie: thanks your comment, here is a larger version:

big version (http://www.3dluvr.com/ward/ward_The_Horde_big.jpg)

DSedov: I'm going to post some wire soon (in the next reply) but as I mentioned before, the horde is CG all the rest is painting, or photo.

adldesigner: Thanks, you are not the only one who like the light setup ! :)

Dominique: I fixed the leg a bit, cheers,

Greco: The foreground rocks are from different photos what I had to modify a lot to have this result.

Renaud Bellefon: Many thanks, that was my main goal, a nice atmosphere. I'm glad you like it.

NeonGuy: Koszi, a Te Amidalad is fasza lett, gratula hozza.

Kel Solaar: oh, thanks man, that was my another aim. :), btw: your works on your page is just briliant, The city project is awesome.

Goodlag: thanks a lot.

Fredy, altermind: The environment is a kind of matte painting. but probably the "painting" is a bit exaggerated, because I used photos also to make this result. So it is a kind of photo and painting mixture.

thanks the comments everybody,

bye

ward

sad
06-03-2003, 12:52 AM
nice background!

davids
06-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Simply amazing! I love the lighting and composition. Perhaps you could give us a closer render of the troll guys that are behind the elephants. How did you do the rocks? displacement? Great work!:thumbsup:

cgjie
06-03-2003, 06:46 AM
wow ward!
thank you very very much!
:beer:

I am downloading it and your other cool works now....
Oh, though may be I will spend thirty minutes to download those great pictures ,I hope very much to enjoy it !
You are great man
:wavey: by the way,I have done my work also,about a big beast and a hero,this is the link :work in progress (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=626420#post626420)
I have many trouble with the textures.If you may give me any comments,I will very happy!
sorry,excuse me,my poor English ha ha :cool:

ward
06-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Hi again,

Sad: Thanks a lot,

Davids: instead of the closer render here are a couple of wip images, wires.

cgije: your beast is very good, I'm going to visit your thread soon.

so the wires:

http://www.fx2nv.com/ward_wip1.jpg
http://www.fx2nv.com/ward_wip2.jpg

bye

ward

cgjie
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Oh ward: thanks!
I have already post a new thready about my latest work.
I will do better with your comments!
this is a new link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66891)

ward
06-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi cgjie,

I have found and I have written a comment,

bye

ward

lildragon
06-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Absoultely beautiful! I really love the contrast of colors in this, the backdrop is breathtaking very good work there. THe only thing I'd change is the positioning of the Troll like creature behind the elephant, reason being he's the only visible one in the composition and he's hidden, leaving us guessing what his features are, not pratically good due to the fact that it's a still. But nonetheless :thumbsup:

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_june03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

cgjie
06-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Congratulate!

Rubberduckie
06-17-2003, 06:17 AM
:arteest: mmm the colors...'nuff said.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.