PDA

View Full Version : matchmoving/tracking by hand

boomji
05-31-2003, 07:32 PM
hi,
how many of you have had to track/match move something manuallyand done it ...right !!!.
just as a challenge i try to get the same results as C2/afx native trackers but theres always some jitter(weather i use bracketing or do it frame by frame).On big sceen that would translate to a blimming earthquake instead of a jitter :eek: .

native tarckers use sub pixel information though...but any tips any body want to share ???

thanks
b

floguyep
05-31-2003, 08:11 PM
I've found that corners of things make the best trackers rather than objects. If you have to choose between tracking say the corner of a window or a polka dot on the wall, track the corner of the window.

boomji
06-01-2003, 01:40 PM
hey thanks for sahring...will keep that in mind .

b

Chris
06-02-2003, 11:06 PM
you can alway try averaging the keyframes a bit, which may remove the jitter - I find this helps a bit when hand tracking (in combustion, you select the key's select math operations & choose average, it doesnt have to be much)

Punkpotato
06-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Hand tracking, oh yeh.
For the most part I've had good success tracking 3d camera's in boujou and excelent results tracking 2d in combustion. But some jobs are just too much for these systems to function. I just finished working on a set of complexed tracking shots for a car comercial. The tracking data from the big camera machine (the big machine will remain nameless because they don't need the bad rap) was totally useless. I mean if its slightly out all the way through the shot then its totally useless. So after spending a big part of the budget on this we decided to use the best tracker in the world. Yes its the human brain.
I find that too many people in this bussiness don't have the patience to use there brain. Too many people try to use technology and maths and dicky scripts instead of doing the hard yards. Ive worked on many animation jobs where a team of teck savy animators spend days writing plugins and scripts to solve a simple problem. While there stuffing about I just jump in and do it by hand in a few hours.
Sorry for ranting about this but I realy think the technical side of this whole industry is out of touch and out of control.

Chris
06-03-2003, 03:00 AM
I tend to agree to a certain extent, I'm always quite quick to get stuck in & do things manually for things like tracking, animated reveals etc etc. I think most people get put off, thinking it will end up a lot harder than it really is & end up spending longer trying to push some sophisticated software beond its limits, than you would doing it frame by frame.

A classic example is say something like a write on signature - people get locked into a mindset that they must do this with a stroke recorder, or create a whole lot of paths with particles. But if you think about it, generally a signature is going to write on in a second to a second & a half - thats only 25 - 33 frames to paint, you can probably paint that in a few minutes...

boomji
06-03-2003, 06:52 PM
good to hear more thaughts on this,

although technology is abused most times...it has saved my bum a couple of times :D .
the point is i tried to track a number plates pos and rotation(camera tilt shot) but the jitter was baaad.I do accept it could so majorly be my fault but c2 handeled the thing 90% of the way in no time the rest i could massage.
i do admire you hand(y) men :scream: hence my thread...glean a lil from the pros.

thanks for taking the time.
b

vfx
06-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Hey guys, I'm having major problems with a scene, that I need to track, I've tried self do it engines, but just can't cope. i admit the scene pans back and forth a lot, and so there's quite a bit of blur at some points. Also to mention, the camera moves around a figure 90 degrees. So, can I do this manually? I have access to combustion at uni, but can I do teacking to use max for 3d insertion? Thanks in advance.

P.s. How do you manually track in combustion, haven't checked to see if theres any tuts on this yet mind.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.