PDA

View Full Version : Can you animate things in MB besides bipeds?

Mechis
05-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Hey all,
I really like what I've seen in MB, but I have a question. Is it possible to characterize something that isn't human-like? (ie. two arms and two legs?) Can you do 4-legged animals? What about an alien with four arms? Or if your character has 4 fingers instead of 5?
I'm wondering how adaptable MB is to different characters. IF it is adaptable, can someone explain how the bone setup is altered, or how the characterization is altered?

The reason I ask, is that I have been looking at the buzz tutorials and at things people post online and all I have seen are examples of human-like characters. So far, MB looks great!
Thanks for the info :bounce:

policarpo
05-31-2003, 07:15 PM
you can create rigs for Quads, antenaes, tails...you name it.

MB may not have these RIGS by default, but they certainly can be created. Be sure to check out the VTM from 3DBuzz entitled "VTM3_05_MB_Wrist_Helmet.avi" It shows them rigging a microphone and an antenae.

I just did a test and created a QUAD rig in MB from my Skelegon bones I exported from LightWave.

MB rocks!:bounce:

3DDave
05-31-2003, 08:09 PM
Motion Builder has a complete IK/FK tool set and an expressions system that makes any kind of rigging setup a snap.

Mechis
06-01-2003, 06:51 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info. I have another question. Say, you animate in Motionbuilder and then bring it into Lightwave. Once it is in Lightwave, does the skeleton need to keep the basic rig you initially created, or is there a way to make an updated (more advanced) skeleton, so you can keep adding (using a more advanced skeleton than the basic rig you used to export to .fbx format) to the animation when you are in Lightwave?
Did that question make sense to you? Thanks for the info!

3DDave
06-01-2003, 07:52 PM
The expression system in Motion Builder is more powerfull and easier to use than Lightwave's so I would suggest doing the setup work in MB. You can "merge and append" an FBX file into another in MB so you can "update" you rig and mesh, although you might end up with two sets of bone hierarchy's if the changes are big. Also not every bone needs to be in Lightwave, you can add bones in MB that drive the Lightwave bones.

Mechis
06-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the information :)

policarpo
06-02-2003, 03:02 PM
basically your workflow is:

1. Model in LightWave
2. Create the Skelegon system for that model
3. Convert Skelegons to Bones in layout
4. Export to .FBX
5. Here you have 2 options:
a. Use standard BiPed rig in MB
b. Rig to your little hearts content and set up all your constraints and what not.
6. Plot your character
7. Merge FBX in Layout
8. Render

Be sure to download the 3DBUZZ VTM's. They illuminate quite a bit of the mystery and questions you may have.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.