PDA

View Full Version : forms in my ncloth flattening

conflictingalibi
08-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Hello all, I'm wondering if anybody here would know how I can fix this problem I'm coming up with using nCloth. I have a skirt on my character that I modeled and made into nCloth. Note that the skirt I modeled out has thickness(see WIP:Sora link in sig) This skirt has a few rows of faces that were extruded out, but my nCloth simulations tend to want to flatten these forms out. I turn up bend resitance and bend resitance dropoff so that my harder angles keep its shape, but it still seems to want to flatten out. Also one thing that I'm not liking is having these settings make my edges of the skirt really stiff. I read somewhere that I can do the extrusions and model those pieces out post simulation, but are there any other workarounds or settings I can tweak to get something I like?

zoo-prod
08-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Did you try to paint bend resistance, thickness, stretch, etc... on your cloth ? You can give different values to whatever part you want like that. I think it should work this way.

tpalamar
08-08-2008, 04:39 PM
You really have to think of this in real world terms. How could this correlate to the real world? What type of garment has extrusions similar to what you have modeled?

Is this supposed to be a thicker material, or an additional object hanging off? A screen shot of the extrusion would be good.

It doesn't sound like the solution is going to be in any of the dynamic attributes.

conflictingalibi
08-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Heres what the skirt looks like. The extrusions are straps that are supposed to be sewn into the skirt.

Is there a way to simulate a version of the skirt without any extrusions then apply them onto this one? I tried playing around with painting attributes, while it is an improvement, I think you're right that the solution isnt going to be in my dynamic attributes.

Definitely thanks for the response guys, and if there's anything else anybody can think up please let me know, this is my first real nCloth project.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2691111999_00eb9887eb.jpg

tpalamar
08-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, certainly. You could sim a non extruded version and then use a wrap deformer to bind the one with extrusions to it.

You could also do the extrusions as displacements instead of trying to sim them if you are going to go through the trouble of simming a version without the extrusions anyways.

conflictingalibi
08-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Awesome, thanks tons Todd! This helps me out greatly. I'll look into doing a warp deformer and see how it turns out.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2008, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.