PDA

View Full Version : I'm assuming 7 will be free

daytona
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here but with the release of 7 xStream before the end of the year, I can't help but get the feeling that we are being asked to pay, we have been well and truly shafted.

chippwalters
08-08-2008, 06:06 AM
I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here but with the release of 7 xStream before the end of the year, I can't help but get the feeling that we are being asked to pay, we have been well and truly shafted.

Based on the promotional information, there are many new features and enhancements for xStream in version 7. I can't imagine a company can stay in business giving away software for free.

If you have problems with xStream 6 then you should submit them to support for help. I have always found support at e-on to be most helpful and in fact they have gone out of their way to fix problems for me when I've presented a clear and accurate bug report.

If you have a gripe, then be specific and perhaps someone here will help. Using words like "shafted" may make you feel better, but goes no further in helping solve anyone's probems.

kevnich00
08-08-2008, 04:13 PM
" I have always found support at e-on to be most helpful and in fact they have gone out of their way to fix problems for me when I've presented a clear and accurate bug report."

I've got to ask, how do you accomplish this?? I have never had good service through the company and when (or if?) they do reply, the suggestions are just laughable. The last request I made was with viewing issue in Max and the reply was to literally "change some settings and see if it works".

"Shafted" may be a correct word because I feel as though I bought a half-baked piece of software and now I will probably have to pay to make it work, but I'll still have to have my fingers crossed for actual results.

bruno021
08-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, if they spent a lot of time in R&D fully integrating Vue & your main app, ironing out bugs and implementing new features too (as the press release says), don't even think about getting it for free. I don't think e-on lives off fresh water. Do you?
As Chipp, tech support has always been fast (24h most of the times) and useful ( will be fixed in next update, will be fixed in a next update, won't make it in Vue6, this is not a bug you stupid twat - ok, I made the last one up, this kind of answer)
But I'm sure there will be a cheap upgrade path, I'm sure they know their xStream customers are not the happiest of campers.

Mike.H
08-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Like Bruno and Chipp ive always had a great communication with e.on and their support staff and developers, mailfunctioning software is h.ll on earth when working with media productions so i understand your feelings if youve been bitten hard, but in all fairnes e.on in my eyes are always down to earth and realy do try to fix your issues if youre accurate with your information and friendly in tone (not saying you havent been just that).

With that said, im positive just like bruno that e.on is very aware of the fact that vue 6 xstream was a far less pleasant experience then vue 6 Infinite (which has served me very well since its launch a few years back), but it do sound like vue7 xstream is a much, much improved upon version with both fixes and new and more powerful features so no, i woudnt dream of getting it for free, but im sure the upgrade path from vue6 xstream to vue7 xstream will be quite reasonable.

Tangster
08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
E-on are a good company and very helpful as well, everyone makes mistakes and hopefully they'll have learned from Vue 6 Xstream, especially in a market where a few bugs means people will buy from your competitors and you'll be left out of the workflow.

I can dream of getting it for free, but of course, that's a dream:(

tomglod
08-14-2008, 06:01 AM
I think the dude meant that if he buys version 6 now, that maybe he'll get the upgrade to 7 for free..a lot of companies do that....

u guys are all tlaking like hes an idiot and thinks that the whole package is gonna be free for everyone....

Mike.H
08-14-2008, 11:08 AM
no were not saying hes an idiot for thinking vue 7 is free.
What he seemed to be refering to was that hes an unhappy vue6 user not thinking vue6 is good value at this point of time, and due to the pending vue7 release he felt that hes shafted due to vue6 not getting anymore updates, hence our responses.

But if youre right and hes indeed a recent vue6 customer then he might very well get a free vue7 update, thats how e.on have done it in the past, however since i doubt vue7 will get an public release until the end of the year i doubt anyone purchasing vue6 during this summer will get vue7 for free, but as you said, if he do get vue6 sometimes closer to the public release of vue7 then im quite confident that hell get a free vue7 upgrade.

daytona
08-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Well just to clear up any misunderstanding and to set out my stall so to speak, it was tongue in cheek when I mentioned getting 7 for free. Of course they are not going to give it away.
I came onboard at 6.5 so the thought of shelling out more money for something that did not fulfill my expectations does not fill me with joy. I would be happy with a free bug fix to my existing app without paying for extra whistles and bells. I don't know whether it works better with other apps or not, but I guess it may well do, so other peoples experiences may be different.
When was the last time there was an update? I'm sure that a lot of the work that has gone into xStream7 is bug fixing stuff that shouldn't be there in the first place. Why can't we get some of that goodness? Call it 6.8 or whatever, I don't care.So in this respect I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say xStream 7 should be free. I have no problem with the standalone version. I think it's brilliant but xStream in it's current form sucks.
Using C4D on OSX I found it very difficult to place vue objects with a scene accurately as very few things would display themselves in the UI. They wouldn't update if I switched between interfaces and it was very crashy. I don't have time to bug report, I need the apps to work the way they are supposed to, if they don't, I have to quickly find another way of doing it. Dealines is deadlines! If I was a hobbyist I may be more tolerant of it's deficiencies, but I'm not and from what I personally experienced, lead me to think that 6.5 xStream was not fit for market.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2008, 05:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.