PDA

View Full Version : Aug / Sept & Oct / novcartoon rigging challenge

twidup
08-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Ok, so, its all ready to go.
The model, is Kito the turtle.

Film concept : tortoise and the hare,and of course Kito is the tortoise. a super flexible tortoise though.

Rigging key features :
1 arms, legs, and spine MUST have squash and stretch, and must preserve volume (roughly)
2 arms and legs MUST be able to go from a regular 2 bone arm/leg to a noodle type arm /leg
3 Shell must have some automated secondary motion for walks, ie, it bounces a bit, and it can have some deformers on it to warp its shape a bit, again, this should be tied into the bounce and automated, BUT animator must have 2 things for this : a control to turn off the automation (blend on/off preferred) and a control system for them to key their own effects, either on top of hte existing automation, or blended to the automation, or instead of the automation
4 The only head/face controls that can be set up right now are for head/neck rotation/control, NO FACE RIGGING YET
5 the neck must be able to squash and stretch with volume preservation, and the head MUST be able to be pulled into the shell (lattice anyone)

So, outside of those requirements, you are allowed to modify the model if need be but only for cutting up the geometry or adding additional edge loops to the model

two models are provide, a low res and a higher res, you can

Oct/Nov is going to be a face rigging challenge for Kito as well, so come the end of Nov, you will have a fully rigged character

I will provide a link to it later today..once I am at home and can actually access my site (ftp is blocked at work)

-todd

Coyote12
08-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Do we have to use this character for our submissions? I already have some Cartoon based models of my own I want to rig instead. And it is all set for facial rigging and everything else. I can follow most of the guidelines with my character (except the Turtle shell stuff)

deatheater4ever
08-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Hello Todd , and congratulations on having your own CG Workshop Master Classes on MEL & Python Scripting yet again . ( Sorry , I'll check the link on your showreel later as it's not loading fast here at my office ).

And thanks to William " Proton " Vaughan for providing the model. ( He has a hundred , though !! )

I like the number of requirements on the model that we have to do . ( And if I figure out how to get the noodly arms !! )

Coyote12 ........ yes I believe we can only work on the model provided by Todd and since it's a challenge it will be better if all of us work on the same model . Todd usually posts the model soon after he's given us the guidelines .

twidup
08-08-2008, 06:00 AM
yup, you have to use the model provide, this is so that all the users start from the same ground.

anyways, here is the link

www.toddwidup.com/downloads/cgtalk/kito.zip (http://www.toddwidup.com/downloads/cgtalk/kito.zip)

good luck

-todd

ErikE
08-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Sweet, I will start working on this one after Siggraph. I will have some time this time around :D

Nice challenge and nice model, it should be a lot of fun. Thanks for setting this up Todd

TimForbes
08-08-2008, 07:37 AM
sweet. I'm in provided I get the time to get it done. looking forward to it.

Eela
08-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey Todd! I'm moving during this month, kind of crazy time (not for holiday:( ) but I like the challenge, so I'm in as log as I have time ;)

cheers,
Ilaria

RavenEye
08-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Sweet, model. I'll be starting up this weekend.

twidup
08-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, you will end up with 4 months total time on this, as i will allow everyone to still be working on the body during the facial rigging part of it.

-todd

Leionaaad
08-08-2008, 07:43 PM
1. I don't like how the eyes are modeled. It is subdivided and the pupil will be starshaped, I plan to model it when the time comes. can I?

2. the character is facing negative Z direction... I am used to look positive Z. Can I turn it around?

I also had to scale it up 10 times, I considered too small.

twidup
08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I will do some modeling changes to the eyes tonight and update the link later with a new one that will address the eye issue.

As for the rest, you can rotate it to fit for the package you are rigging in, and the scaling is the same.

deatheater4ever
08-09-2008, 06:58 AM
I did not check the model out in so much detail ..... will also inspect the eyes ....

I think almost everyone will get started on the hi res version of the model ...... well 2 months is more than enough to give me time to make the necessary changes required like ]noodly arms[/COLOR] and automated shell bounce ....

All right we'll get this done.

twidup
08-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Actually, I am going to change this after looking at the eyes close. You can edit the eyes how you see fit, as long as there is no topoglogical changes

ie, you can seperate it out into two meshes as well
-todd

joshpurple
08-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Sounds excellent, and my Thanks to Todd and William "Proton" Vaughn :beer: !

Outstanding goals and rules, very challenging!

And, just checking, is anyone else getting import results with XP Pro, 3ds Max 2009 SP1 32bit, creativity_extension pack installed, of the High and Low .obj files of Kito like this;

http://jp.joshpurple.com/kito.jpg
(high on left, low on right)

I'll be glad to take any tips on trying different methods for importing, my apologies if I'm doing something dumb on import (and Thank You for the help). Currently I've just tried a default .obj import into Max.

twidup
08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
just loaded teh high obj inot maya and it came in fine. I am heading to siggraph at 6 am tomorrow, so I wont get to anything till Wednesday night...but if someone wants to load them and save as an FBX, that might help.

-todd

joshpurple
08-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Excellent, and Thank You Todd :) . Have a great time at SIG!

I opened these in Maya, and like Todd said, they came in fine. I saved each one out as an FBX, and both opened in Max looking good;

http://jp.joshpurple.com/KitoFBX.ZIP

(I did not modify the models in anyway, the FBX export was done 'default' out of Maya 7)
-hope that helps.

twidup
08-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks Josh, I appreciate it...I can only check them in Maya and Lightwave (and modo 101)

-todd

riri284
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
hey!

this looks very interesting!

i was wondering about the noodle type arm... i am wotking i maya, and i would be looking for a tutorial that shows how to do it...

i don't care if it's a dvd i have to buy, i just have no idea on how to do it...

in fact if you know a page that goes on about it without being a tutorial, would you mind sharing a link?

i am very interested in it, but i have no idea of where to start...

thanks!

joshpurple
08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
i don't care if it's a dvd i have to buy, i just have no idea on how to do it...

Hi Richard :) ,

I'm not a Maya expert, but maybe this will help;

http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=3407

(Pardon it's not free)

For free Maya Character Rig items, try this link, "The Maya Free Character Rig List";

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=88&t=397196

(and, pardon if you've already seen this link/thread)

Good luck!

Leionaaad
08-13-2008, 08:34 PM
yes, I too hjave problems with the noodle limbs.
Once I saw an intro for a tutorial by jeff bernstein, he was using a follicle for this kind of setup. I understood the concept then, I trieed it some joints. I also saw a mel script that did the same setup. About two years have past since then, so I can't remember anything. However, follicles are only on maya unlimited, so I think i will go with a spline ik setup...

twidup
08-13-2008, 11:07 PM
you dont have to use a follicle...which is just a spline anyways with some dynamics.

-todd

futurcraft
08-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Todd,

I really like this character.. A small question.. If I rig up our lil turtle as per the animation requirements & have a friend of mine animate him, then do we have permission to showcase our skills in our respective demo reels using this character by providing courtesy to CG Talk...? I'd really appreciate your inputs on this.

Thanks,

Nikhil.

RavenEye
08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I believe that you can use this on our reels. As long as you give credit where credit is do.

twidup
08-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Yup, this it totally a learning exercise, so yeah, if you rig it and he/she animates it, just make sure to credit William Vaughn as the modeler

cheers
-todd

DeltaAddiction
08-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and this idea of being provided models to practice rigging on sounds awesome! But I just tried that link on the first page of the thread and I got 404'd :( Could you repost it pretty please?

joshpurple
08-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and this idea of being provided models to practice rigging on sounds awesome! But I just tried that link on the first page of the thread and I got 404'd images/icons/icon9.gif Could you repost it pretty please?

Hi Austin, Welcome to the forums :) . Here's that same file; http://jp.joshpurple.com/kito.zip (I have not altered it in any way). Please feel free to let me know if you have any problems with it. Good luck!

DeltaAddiction
08-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Alright, thanks man. The link works but I don't know how to convert the .obj into a Maya binary file. How can I make it usable for Maya (2008)?

joshpurple
08-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Try these files; http://jp.joshpurple.com/KitoMB.ZIP I imported the FBX versions, and saved them out as .mb from Maya 7 (other than that I did not alter the files in anyway). Let me know if you have any problems with them, -I'll be glad to try and help :) .

DeltaAddiction
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Sweet, it works perfectly! Thanks again.

twidup
08-18-2008, 01:10 AM
you can import objs directly into Maya, just make sure the obj plugin is loaded

Doh, sorry, been working on my site lately, and moved the directory the zip was in.

www.toddwidup.com/cgTalk/kito.zip

-todd

joshpurple
08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I just started working on this tonight. I will be rigging in 3ds Max9. So far I have the basic skeleton done and I am currently working on solutions for the noodle arms and automated shell.

I will post screen shots/videos as I progress

Thanks again to Todd for putting this together it should be a ton of fun.

-Erik
Cool :beer: ! Glad to hear it, and way to go on already getting to it! :D
(I posted here, so I would not clutter/mess-up your WIP Thread, -or I'd be glad to post in your thread for feedback, etc. if that would be best?)

ErikE
08-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Cool :beer: ! Glad to hear it, and way to go on already getting to it! :D
(I posted here, so I would not clutter/mess-up your WIP Thread, -or I'd be glad to post in your thread for feedback, etc. if that would be best?)

haha feel free to post in my WIP thread. Are you going to go at it too josh?

joshpurple
08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
haha feel free to post in my WIP thread.
Cool. Will do :) .
Are you going to go at it too josh?
>gulp!< *josh still hiding in shadows* Yup! I'll make an attempt at least :arteest: .

joshpurple
08-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Your work/set-up looks great!

This my W.I.P. entry for this project.

In this example, I have the spine and neck setup. I also made some adjustments on the legs.

Spine/Neck Setup
ik/fk spine/neck with a blend switch
stretchy ik/fk spine/neck
head follow attribute
advance twisting controls
proxy geometry for the spine, neck, and head

Leg Setup
jiggle controls bigger and easier to grab
legs stretch while moving the hip and COG controls
fk legs ankles able to stretch

oh yeah, I no longer have that green zooming thing like the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKTGiD8itg

My next update will be with the arms. The arms will have have a similar setup as the legs to get the jiggliness in them. My goal is to have it updated on Tuesday, since I don't have to work until Wednesday. Yeppie!!! For four day weekends.

I'll be adding that head going into the the shell after the arms. The plan is to have some secondary action on the entrance of the shell, as well with some some squash on the head.http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=216&t=667523

I don't have a lot of experience with Maya, but your set-up looks very flexible, easy to work with, keeps volume, very clean, great jiggle controls, = an excellent looking set up!
:beer: !

(I never know if I should post in a persons W.I.P thread, so I always try to ask first before I do :) ).

RavenEye
08-31-2008, 06:16 PM
:beer: !

(I never know if I should post in a persons W.I.P thread, so I always try to ask first before I do :) ).

Feel free to post in the WIP.

By the way thanks.

I could say the same for Max. I've used Max rigging tools several years ago. I could only build a simple rig with the program before I transfered to Maya.

joshpurple
08-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Feel free to post in the WIP.

Thanks, will do.

I really like the look of Maya lately; Fluid Effects, nCloth, nParticles, Maya Muscle (the Wrinkle enhancement, self-collision, Muscle Creator enhancement, etc.). XSI looks good too (I've been working on learning it).

I first started with Max, then Maya, then found CAT (and many other outstanding plugins). Now I've been working on learning MaxScript, using Paul Neale's & Bobo's -brilliant- DVD's (since I've got the IQ of a lucky gorilla, I need all the help I can get :) ).

RavenEye
08-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I have only use XSI for some modeling. I didn't like it too much. I hear it is a good animation software but that is only hear say since I have never seen it in action. Yeah, Maya is getting alot of awesome stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on the newer version. I enjoyed nCloth, so I'm hoping nParticles will be as easy as nCloth. Anywho, going to go study some autoClav setups before I head off to a BBQ. Late

futurcraft
09-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I have only use XSI for some modeling. I didn't like it too much. I hear it is a good animation software but that is only hear say since I have never seen it in action.

Hi Raven,

I guess you should take a look at one of the success stories of SoftImage XSI which is being used heavily in 3D animation by quite a few studios too.. Here's a link for you just to have a small insight into the capabilities of XSI.

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/customer_stories/charlottes_web/default.aspx

But no doubt Maya does have a much larger user base as I myself am one, though I am now exploring the possibilities of XSI..

Cheers!

Nikhil.

rikkiknight
09-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey Todd

Was just wondering about submissions?
Well, you will end up with 4 months total time on this, as i will allow everyone to still be working on the body during the facial rigging part of it.
When do we have to submit our body rig? Or will this be all at the end of the comp?

Is there an offical start date for face rigging or are we free to start 1st oct?
Also was wondering, are there any textures for this model? :arteest:

Probably been discussed before but what about a linked challenge?
Take a model from the model challenge?? Have a texture challenge and we do the rigging challenge? Winner of comp gets their model pushed through? etc etc

Anyway thats enough blabber from me
Looking forward to your thoughts on these

Rik

rikkiknight
09-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Opps sorry those questions were a bit direct, was quite busy at work today.

But if there are textures kicking around for this model it would be create to have access to them. Just thinking presentation on the showreel thats all. It's not needed to show rigging I know but still, pretty colours are nice :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2008, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.