PDA

View Full Version : No Blueprints Attached

ArjunM
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
There have been some models (including of celebrities) that I have seen which have been done very detailed. I can imagine, there were no orthographic references used, but it's a little hard to model anything organic that way. A few models of animals I made were completely without blueprints, but ended up being a little too disproportionate. A human face I tried without blueprint support looked a lot like a pantomime mask.

Tough, I thought. My instructor, however, said that a real modeller will make a model just by looking at the subject. He mentioned a clay-modeller, who models on sight, and doesn't require a front and side view. Then I remembered my own experiences in a clay lab, and I didn't need orthographic references or even a symmetry or mirror! I tried to replicate the process in 3-D, and ended up with that front of a face that looked like a pantomime mask. I'd like to know what you did when you modelled with no blueprints attached.

scrimski
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I failed.
And started again - several times until I got it right.

Organic and especially modeling of humans follows principles of anatomy, proportions, muscles and such not construction plans or blueprints.
Even when modelling hard sureface stuff I don't rely on blueprints but photos.

ArjunM
08-07-2008, 05:09 PM
The question is whether we can make Kevin Costner look like Kevin Costner. We know the various edge loops and the rules related, but making the product look like the subject is what we all want to do. We were taught in sketching class about the various measurements to make when drawing a face or body, but then, those are measurements. Likewise, when I was observing the Kenworth thread, I got a hint, but again, there is that belief that a McLaren F1 that's two inches shorter is not a real McLaren F1- unless that's the case.

DigitalBlaspheme
08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Usually I just model from the head to get the base mesh and tweak until I feel good about the result, then to get specific details (like to find out how big someones nostrils are) I resort to photos. If I don't need specific details one photo is usually enough to ensure my memory/imagination is on point

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.