PDA

View Full Version : How do you get smooth looking models?

cayne
04-25-2002, 04:01 AM
I'm trying to get rid of or minimize the hard edges in my models. I know that the way to do this is by turning the faces so that they flow smoothly, but I'm having trouble doing that in some spots. Can anyone give me some tips or point me to some tutorials that explain what to look for and stuff like that?

I've circled the area that I'm talking about in the picture linked below-

M4Dn355
04-25-2002, 07:17 AM
Just select it and choose smooth
then check the box that says "Auto Smooth" Thats the better of the 2 ways.. Another way is go down the smooth menu and click one of the smoothing groups. :) Hope this helped a little

cayne
04-25-2002, 08:01 AM
YOU are the man!!! That's exactly what I was looking for- can't believe how simple that was. Now, I feel stupid. That's sure alot easier than trying to turn all those faces to get the same effect. Thanks again.

Here's the smoothed version-

cayne
04-25-2002, 08:02 AM
Another view of the same model after smoothing.

White Stallion
04-26-2002, 06:00 AM
what software are you using!

White Stallion
04-26-2002, 06:02 AM
The reason is beaceuse, in XSI you can geometric aproximate to smooth you characters. In maya you could select all your faces then go polygons smooth or just subdivide the character.

cayne
04-26-2002, 06:06 AM
Hi White Stallion,

I'm using 3D Studio Max 4. M4Dn355 pointed me in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

Johnny_Scott
04-26-2002, 09:55 AM
if you mean that you want to have the real-time shading be smooth across all polys in 3ds max while your modelling then....

1. goto poly sub object level
2. Select all the polys in the model
3. scroll down to the (almost) very bottom of the modelling pane on the right side of the screen (still in poly sub object mode, use the hand cursor that comes up to pull down to the bottom)
4. You should see a 'surface properties' section on the modelling pane, select any ONE of the numbers on the smoothing groups sub-panel

This process will assign the same smoothing group # to all of the polys, thus when the program calculates how to smooth the polys in your model, it will consider all of them to be smoothed IN THE SAME GROUP, together.

Otherwise your polygons will be smoothed differently and appear to be discontinuous.

-Johnny Scott

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.