PDA

View Full Version : Lizard Warriror quick sketch

ahtiandr
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi all . I am not good at drawing or painting but I found a very good way , how I can make my sketches for 3d modeling in no time . What do you think about this method ? Is it common or uncommon ? Is it good or not ? Any comments are welcome :)

http://static1.filefront.com/images/personal/a/ahtiandr/121325/fuuwctiixx.thumb500.jpg

siiilon
08-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, to be honest I use similar things as a starting point, but not complete photographs, but just textures of stone, marble, cork where I see a suggestions of interesting composition. I play with it and at the end the original photo is totaly overpainted and actually totally changed. Such photos can kick me up to directions where I can't go when I am staring at plain canvas. You should be able to reproduce what you see on photos, so you can change the light conditions, perspective, pose, whatever. Try not to use shortcuts too much if you want to improve your drawing skills. Be patient.

VISEone
08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I think as long as you feel comfortable with any method it is a good way to start. Use whatever it takes to bring you to your goal.
The only thing which I see difficult in this method is to get a front view for your 3D sketch. When I did 3D modeling I had the same problem - I made a sketch from the sideview and had problems to draw the fitting frontview...

CybrGfx
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
It's a common technique, one used all the time in matte painting.

Like ViseOne remarked, you may have problems with the front view, unless you can draw well.

I use images like this all the time, cutting off arms, heads, whatever I need for the image I'm creating. I transform, skew, warp and adjust for my needs, and then paint over the whole thing.

Whatever gets the job done and looks good. That's all that matters.
Life is too short to "be patient." You need to PUSH yourself to get things done NOW. By doing so, you will force your skills to improve, because you are not patient enough to practice forever. The trick is to do it continuously, every day.

~C

ahtiandr
08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Thank you for your comments . Here is final concept . There are a lot of references on 3dsk :)

http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/a/ahtiandr/121325/cwsilxrtan.jpg

wind27382
08-09-2008, 08:49 PM
well Like everyone else has said that is common practice. but the only problem I can see is you getting the differant elements to line up. what I mean is making it feel like the differant parts belong together as aposed to just putting them together.

CybrGfx
08-09-2008, 09:27 PM
That will come with practice. The more you do it, the more comfortable you get with it, the more you will recognize areas that need improvement. Keep practicing.

~C

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2008, 09:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.