PDA

View Full Version : Create liquid in Maya (for a still)

kibble
08-06-2008, 11:44 PM
What's the best way to create a liquid in Maya (2008 Ext2)? It is just for a still and there won't be much of it (just a small glassful, with some falling out), but i want it to appear to have some motion to it, like it's actually real liquid. I'm not a particularly advanced user of the programme, so something reasonably uncomplicated, but as long as it doesn't involve writing MEL or anything, lol! Thanks...

gmask
08-07-2008, 02:30 AM
if it's just a still you could probably get away with modelling a surface for the volume of water and adding some blobby particles for the spray

kibble
08-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Would there be an optimum method for creating this surface? I was thinking maybe of doing something with curves and creating something from that, but then not sure what the best material properties/settings would be.

DigitallyReal
08-10-2008, 10:20 AM
you could always take a plane, add like 40x40 in divisions, make it a soft body, then add turbulance to it. I always found that to be a fun and quick way to make water. ;)

coldside-digital
08-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I think that modelling it using polys/sub-d would be easiest. Use the new soft selection tools with Ext 2 if you have that, or the poly sculpt tool. If you have zbrush or mudbox you could take it in there for extra detailing.

=LuxX=
08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
maby you can try to do it with fluid effects.

make a fluid container 3D ( with emitter )and make the surface surface render/ hard surface

then put an gravity field in the 3d container ( and your glass also)

make your glass colide with the fluid. so it will fall in and over. when you have some sort of disired result ( you can see that with play back) the stop playback and convert fluid to poly...

well from there on i think you can manage.. if you have questions you can ask ;)

ofcourse there are a lot of things you have to set like resolution of the container- the damping friction etc etc if you want to try this i can help you out if you want

*** its doable.. tryed for 15 mins.. cam a bit in the direction... but you have to know something about the dynamics in maya*** and you need maya unlimited

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.