PDA

View Full Version : 11sc Acting piece

Chadseh
08-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Hey all,

I submitted this to last month's 11secondclub competition. Now that's over, i'd be very interested in getting people's feedback before I begin work again on it and get it ready for a showreel.

Animation is here:
http://www.11secondclub.com/competitions/july08/entry/5ckzQr/

Thanks for your time,

K

KyleG
08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Its looking very good, the one thing that bugs me is that he uses the same gesture on "talk about" as he did on "maybe" I wouldn't have him gesture at all on "talk about" and just do something extra in the face

andrewmartin
08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Great job!!!

I think the animation is fantastic. I like the subtleties.

The problem I have though is as soon as that baby starts to float away I took my eyes off all that hard work you put into the dad!

What kind of options did you explore for staging, etc.? I realise you're focussing on animation, but staging is a part of that. Perhaps when the baby is on screen you could have made his movement more interesting (although it's kind of funny as it is) and toned down the dad... Maybe used different shots, a "crash zoom" or shift in focus (DOF) too. Did you have a look at "Jack-Jack Attack" to see how they did it?

Just some ideas.

Chadseh
08-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey, thanks for the feedback. The problem with staging is a really good point, and one that has bugged me quite a lot in this piece. I basically worked entirely on the father, adding in the son in right at the end of the process. I then realised that I had broken the "tell the audience who they should be looking at" rule.

Im not sure I could bring myself to redoing the dads animation (making it more subtle so the audience are free to focus on the child) and so i'm left with the option to make the baby's movements as subtle as possible, so the audience look at him for an instant, then focus back on the dad. Not ideal by any stretch, and i'm not sure that's even what happens (I know that my attention is taken entirely away from the dad as soon as the baby appears!)

Im not quite sure how to salvage the staging without redoing the father's animation. Any more advice would of course be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

andrewmartin
08-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Understandable...

Try rendering (or compositing) it with the background out of focus and maybe add some props or a picture on a wall behind him so we get that from the start. Then all we will see is this flesh colored blur rising to the ceiling. The audience will get that it's his son, and our eyes won't be too attracted and fixed to him.

You may even think about having the baby face away from us. I think the key is to make the eyes of the baby difficult to see, because that's where our eyes go first.

Just some thoughts, give them a try.

Chadseh
08-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Ah very interesting, especially the idea of facing the baby away from the camera. I know what you mean about eyes - I thought just making sure the baby never looked at the camera was enough, but they still totally draw our attention!

Will give the suggestions a shot, thanks a lot for the feedback, its so helpful to get an outside opinion.

Kind regards,

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2008, 10:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.