PDA

View Full Version : A Stop At The Estrian Plains, Spady (3D)

Spady
05-30-2003, 11:02 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/8533/A_Stop_at_the_Estrian_Plains_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/8533/A_Stop_at_the_Estrian_Plains.jpg)

At least the first illustration for my short film is complete.
Thx to Fraa for pointing me out the issue in the color scheme :)

Helioz
05-30-2003, 11:53 PM
a bit to much grain for my taste, and the robot's eyes lookes kinda out of place
but the rest is really nice

FaNuM
05-30-2003, 11:55 PM
wow! looks really nice man! However I agree with the eyes as stated above. They look cartoony unlike the rest of the image. Looking forward to see your short!
grtz

twdsgn
05-31-2003, 12:22 AM
WOW!! love your style!! Hahahaaa i love the robot eyes.

I can't wait to see the shortfilm.

Great work

PAnick
05-31-2003, 12:29 AM
As was said, the eyes do stand out a little bit, but otherwise it's a very nice pic.

Spady
06-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi, thx for the comments.

I decided to give the robot these eyes because I though it was the best way to convey his emotions. Now, i realize it may not be the right choice...
Anyway, here's a noise free and recropped picture, but I still like the noisy one better :)

http://spady.free.fr/Wip/A_stop_at_the_estrian_plains_cropped.jpg

lildragon
06-01-2003, 06:36 PM
I took the liberty of placing these images on our servers. Yours wasn't holding up to well after the plug :)

great image

salud

katon
06-01-2003, 06:39 PM
wow looks great. maybe use noise just not as much as the first one, i cant wait to see the short, i bet it will be awesome.

mindrot
06-01-2003, 06:44 PM
wicked..... my only crit is the eyes... too cartoony and flat.... they seem out of place in an otherwise fantastic image....

:drool:

Ed Lee
06-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Yeah, put little bit of noice back in...it's looking like a video gamish w/o the grain. Nice lighting otherwise.

Ed--

samartin
06-01-2003, 06:51 PM
maybe the noise would be better inbetween the noise/no noise piccie, I love this style of image, the girl screams namco to me which is a big :thumbsup:

webfox
06-01-2003, 06:58 PM
The models and the characters are great, as well as the textures. I think I could grow to like the eyeballs, as much as they may seem, at first glance, out of place.

The only thing I question is, should the robot's foot be on the heel with the other foot so far back and off the ground? I would think one foot would be flat to support his mass.

In any event, amazing work!

WhiteBlaizer
06-01-2003, 07:12 PM
The second image without film noise is perfect, very nice!
She is kinda cute :applause:

personally i don't like the film noise, i consider that like a method of hide errors and lack of talent.

keep uo the good work! :thumbsup:

shaangfx
06-01-2003, 07:12 PM
nice colours...compostion! wating to c the film..robot looks funny..! good designing thou!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :applause:

Kel Solaar
06-01-2003, 07:14 PM
The composition of the second is better (more dynamism), I love the colour scheme, great job! :buttrock: :buttrock:

Boone
06-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Looking forward to the animation!:thumbsup:

BadKarma
06-01-2003, 07:21 PM
great composition. and nice idea reminds me of the wizard of OZ. but the eyes on the robot... hmmm just looks wrong...

only crit. tho the rest is well good !

BadKarma

CTRL+X
06-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Keep the grain!,, really adds to your style!!!

AnimBot
06-01-2003, 07:35 PM
There seems to be a divide in opinion on both the grain and the eyes. Usually when this happens to me I just do what I want and forget about the opinions :) Personally I love the eyes the way they are. It immediately gives a surreal feel to the whole environment. If that's not what you're going for though then maybe you should change it. I also would like to see a little bit of grain. Good stuff!

percydaman
06-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Is it just me or does the specular highlight look off? like its coming from the wrong direction. Am i making sense? the light is coming from the right of the scene but the specular highlight is showing a light directly ahead of them. Would probably tone it down a little too. LOVE the idea though. Very cool! :bounce:

ed209
06-01-2003, 07:59 PM
I don't really think the cartoon eye's work with the look of this piece. They stick out like a sore thumb. :thumbsdow

Maybe you could add an effect to make it look like a video screen. It may sell the look better.

ghZaaaRK
06-01-2003, 08:01 PM
i prefer the second one. Yes it's true, follows your feeling, but feedback helps a lot.
Thus, yes the grain was too hard... about eyes, i like your choice too, maybe without 2D feeling it'd be better??

anyway, it already is great.

best wishes!

Spady
06-01-2003, 08:06 PM
lildragon: Thx for hosting these pictures. It seems that free.fr is going throught a lot of trouble these time. :(

webfox: In fact the robot isn't really walking nor he's running... I don't know how to tell this in english, but it's something between run and walk :)

kelsolaar: The way I framed the first pic is because it's supposed to be an animated scene. The second framing is a more photographic one. By the way, I tried to imitate the color response of a Velvia color film.

Animbot: You are right, Iwill keep going this way :)
I think the eyes would suit more once they are animated.

harly
06-01-2003, 08:08 PM
I´ve seen the wip for the girl, she´s turned out very nice.
The robot isn´t exactly my taste, but good image though.

Zoober
06-01-2003, 08:47 PM
I love the look of it all. Fills my head with idea's and scenarios these two characters could be in.

Can't wait to see the film.

Totyo
06-01-2003, 09:01 PM
Hey Spady !
you still rock !
(ouais, pas mal, y'a franchement rien à dire.. laisse tes yeux, ca fait un super decalage ! : )

niut
06-01-2003, 09:01 PM
wow great post!!! your girl is amazing!!!:applause: :applause: :applause:

cgwolf
06-01-2003, 09:19 PM
I like it.

Great looking image, I agree the robots specularity seems to indicate light from the wrong angle for some reason. What software did you use and can u post wireframes...

Gotham
06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
I love it.

ZVAN
06-01-2003, 09:41 PM
i like the style and the idea! very nice.. >) :bounce:

gigatron
06-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Bloody marvelous! LoL I love the style :D

Gamoron
06-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Looks good. I'm with the guys who don't like the eyes. I think you should keep them cartoony but make them 3D. They just don't sit well.

Cheers!

webfox
06-01-2003, 10:37 PM
In fact the robot isn't really walking nor he's running... I don't know how to tell this in english, but it's something between run and walk

Is it skipping alongside of her?!?!?

:eek:

I want to hear THOSE sound effects!!!

:bounce:

DimitrisLiatsos
06-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Cool Work...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
P.S : i like the noise picture better. It give's that film grainy look...!

:bounce:

The-Buzz
06-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Very good Spady! :applause:

I like the noise in your picture but I prefer the shadows of the normal picture...

Sinon j'aime beaucoup le dépareillage entre May et le robot ;)

I'm waiting the animation!

Good continuation Spady :D

saltank
06-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Fabulous composition, only thing that brings it down are the eyes, they are somewhat out of place :applause:

baby
06-01-2003, 11:13 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Deeug
06-02-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm just sorry that because of my 56k connection I won't be able to see your animation....

raden
06-02-2003, 12:37 AM
very sweet. goodjob Spady :thumsup:
i like her character design- i think you made the right choice with the dress, shoes and bag. the robot is cool too, i'm really curious about how you would animate the way he moves, between running and walking hmm ya just like skipping so would be bouncy thats cool. just dont forget to give him the sense of weight. about the eyes are they just texture?

when you done with the anim let us know.
goodluck
:beer:

Spady
06-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Thx again for yours comments :)

Raden: The eyes are only map, currently, I will switch them into geometry for animation.

cgwolf: yeah, the robot specularity is actually an env map, I used this trick to emphasize the robot , otherwise he disappears into the shadows...

webfox: yes, he's skipping alongside :)

E=Mc²: He IS a canbox with legs :)

Btw, the software used are Lightwave for the modeling of the girl and the robot, Max for the other things, and Vray for rendering...
Here are some wire, I hope that my host server's still working..
http://spady.free.fr/Wip/ASATEP_wire.gif
http://spady.free.fr/Wip/may_head_smooth.jpg
http://spady.free.fr/Wip/may_head_wire.jpg

boxcrash
06-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Sweet, I likes.:) :thumbsup:

Personaly I do like the eyes, you can do what you want but I think they give him a good attitude.
Like a playful robot friend, who at times can be annoying, like a puppy, annoying and does not know when to quit just full of play and joy.

I gather that and get that feeling form his eyes, also you seem to have a eastern feel to it a anime feel in 3D that his eyes continue to carry over. You could make them go a little better with some tweaking, but I like them myself. Will really portray his emotions, I think.:) :hmm: :shrug:

Lucidium
06-02-2003, 01:31 AM
I think that looks great, and the eyes are just fine.
The only thing I'd change about the eyes would be to make them look a little bit realistic.

Maybe as if they're made out of glass, with a black spot. Just so that they've got a bit of shading.

But the style looks really brilliant. Can't wait to see more!

strick9
06-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Ha! I love the cartoon eyes on the robot! They add so much character, yet they are so simple looking. And the character May is just great. This is probobly in my top five pieces of artwork I've ever seen posted here. :applause:

HausFly
06-02-2003, 01:49 AM
Great work. It reminds me of the first chapter from the Asimov book I, Robot. I'm curious to see what the robot's eyes look like animated.

UnlikelyCorny
06-02-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by HausFly
It reminds me of the first chapter from the Asimov book I, Robot.

I Robot wasn't that the book that inspired Kubrick for A.I? (I'm guessing I am wrong actually) It reminds me a bit of a japanese version of The Wizzard of Oz,..... the yellow brick railway maybe ;-)

As so many I agree on the eyes, to much out of place. There's also something naughty about it all, but I can't really place it,.....must be my troubled mind.

hypercube
06-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Ooh, nice to see the finals on this one after the WIP. Sweet. :thumbsup: :xtreme:

I like the cartoon eyes too..maybe if you made them look just a touch internally lit? Like a slight brightness falloff towards the edges to get a headlight look, ala Iron Giant. Maybe a hair of specular on them, that sort of thing, just to add a little 3d-ness to them.

Aside from that, stellar. I don't really mind the noise at all. As I said over there, I like the robot's sort of half run, he looks nervous. And the girl is still the most precocious thing on two legs. :D

P.S. UnlikelyCorny - A.I. was based on Supertoys Last All Summer Long by Brian Aldiss. There are rumors of a movie version of I, Robot rolling around though.

DSedov
06-02-2003, 02:19 AM
This pic just makes me happy. Wonderfull job!!! Its just simply cute!

Vexed
06-02-2003, 03:08 AM
:bounce: I love it! Amazing job all around, I really like the little girl. She really shines as a true beatific.

UnlikelyCorny
06-02-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by hypercube

P.S. UnlikelyCorny - A.I. was based on Supertoys Last All Summer Long by Brian Aldiss. There are rumors of a movie version of I, Robot rolling around though.

You're right, stupid of me....(I should have known that really)

UnlikelyCorny
06-02-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by hypercube

You're right, stupid of me....(I should have known that really). Well I guess I just failed to win the dishwasher and stereoset ;-)

pelos
06-02-2003, 03:50 AM
incredible!!!!!

can you post a pic, of the wireframe of the girl and the clothes,
i have been tring to do cloth in modeler, but i never get the real results

thak

Strob
06-02-2003, 04:12 AM
Amazing, I like!

Why did you use Lightwave for modeling?

facial
06-02-2003, 05:22 AM
Wooow, Your work is so great, I love this imagination. Keep post up more. :thumbsup:

JohnD
06-02-2003, 05:37 AM
Awesome picture. I especially love the pose the girl is in. As far as the grain, I'd say maybe a little less then the first pic would work out. Also, keep the cartoony eyes on the robot. I know what kind of look you are going for and I think it works fine.

future14
06-02-2003, 05:56 AM
wau....great pic, i like the girl, great!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Kulu_Kulu
06-02-2003, 06:29 AM
:applause: Spuducu it roxxxxxx, really great rendering :eek:

kan est-ce que tu nous fini ce putain de court t vraiment tro lent !:p :thumbsup:

bisou bite à toute la baston team :wavey:

kulu

Icestar
06-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Sheesh, has everyone been so caught up in the eyes and noise that they haven't noticed the drain pipes are way too clean and white compared to the rest of the environment?

ansonkit
06-02-2003, 07:09 AM
definetly nice nice & nice...

how could u use so many diferent application together.

i'm a dumby lightwave user...

u said u use vray for the rendering...can u tell me wat is vray all about...coz i'm a dumby...thks..

hiko_
06-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Qui tu es ? Ah oui je me rapelles ....

MVP
06-02-2003, 10:22 AM
I love this picture. Some people could regard the cartoony eyes as a cop out but I love them, they are unusual in an otherwise detailed modelled picture. Nice work, looking forward to seeing the animation.:applause:

KashGarinn
06-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Don't know if you're still receiving input, but here's mine :)

Love the pic. :applause:

I like the grain, it enhances the illusion that this might just be real.

I don't like the eyes of the robot.. or to put it better, I'd like to see same effect (that is, a slightly cartoony feel to them), but done differently..

Here's how I'd do it.. I'd ponder over why the robot would need such big white eyes, then why the black dot moves within it.. The black dot isn't anything more than a small camera, meaning there is rotational equipment in the eyesockets, and the white is just a matte plastic cover to cover the mechanism which rotates with the cameras.

So I would, as an exercise in getting it 'right', model the eyes from an engineering point (same as you do with the legs) and see how it comes out, then enhance that.

So I like the effect of the eyes, but not the implementation, needs to have a layer of 'reality' on it.

I think I went the long way in saying 'do the eyes in 3d' :rolleyes:

Have you thought about adding eyebrows?

K.

Spady
06-02-2003, 09:57 PM
KashGarinn: Thx, that's what I intended to do. But I think eyebrows are useless for the range of emotion I aim to.

Hikoko: Bisous :)

Kulu: Shut up and study for your term exams:p

Facial: I love your work too, your chinese painting rendering are just stunning :applause:

Strob: I use LW for modeling because I am faster with it on organic modeling. Max poly tools are not reliable enough, well that's what I think...

Icestar: yeah the pipes are too clean, I will add some dirt now :)

Facial Deluxe
06-04-2003, 01:40 AM
Wow wow wow...
Comment ça se fait que je ne sois JAMAIS au courrant quand tu fais des trucs comme ça ? Il faut que je browse jusqu'en page 10 de CGtalk pour tomber sur un thread signé Spaddy:hmm:
De la balle... et ça bouge alors ?

Spady
06-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Salut Olivier,

pour l'instant, ca bouge pas bcp, j'ai encore quelques problemes de skinning a regler avant de passer a l'animation. Ce sera pas pret avant un bon bout de temps :wip:

thewoodenboy
06-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Incredible. Love it. Don't change the eyes on that bot. I think it's quite a creative choice. Awesome.

lildragon
06-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Simply gorgeous, I would say leave the grain in but lessen it, and you might want to add more depth to the eyes, not to much but enough to say well "it doesn't look pasted on" and you'll be fine. Very nice post.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_june03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Goro
06-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Wow! Nice work! Especially the girl looks really nice.
Im looking forward to your short film.
I prefer shaded eyes for the robot.

What kind of cloth simulation do you use?

Copy and paste
06-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Nice composition....

calebs
06-13-2003, 09:59 PM
very nice. i really like the noisy version better. it had a great style to it. like an illustration from a book. can't wait to see more (i admit, the eyes are a bit much.)

HapZungLam
06-13-2003, 11:42 PM
can i take a look at her side view wire frame head? she looks amazing. I want to study it.

unsped
06-14-2003, 01:47 AM
can you say disneys black hole ;)

iv4n
06-30-2003, 06:55 PM
I like those contrast, the eyes and the metal texture.

shade_E
06-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Great work! I think it would help the image if you also desaturated on the Depth map along w/ the blur you have. it would give it more depth and pop out the subjects more..

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.