PDA

View Full Version : nonplanar, tri, quad issues

alaklij
04-25-2002, 01:29 AM
To anyone that can help:

My name is Matt. I'm creating my first lowpoly characters for an independent game project. This is a challenge in its own riech.

I'm working with Lighwave modeling at this time; I also have 3ds max, but I haven't learned it yet. My problem is nonplanar polys.
I know to use quadrangle polygons to maximize processing power, but they 'flip' and disappear as I pan around the character.

Is it normal for a game modeler to use triangular polys?

My problem began when I realized a character can't be NURBed for a game, but must be standard polys. So I unNURBed the model and conitnued to adjust and 'fix' the problem. Consequently, and I have a model with more than half the polys are non-planar.

Do you think I need to start all over or 'Triple' the polys, or something else?

I have attached an image. )

thank you for you time,
Matt.

P.S. I'm a trained traditional sculptor and find 3D anime a natural transition because of my obssession with games. Browse my website for character designs.

alaklij
04-25-2002, 01:57 AM
Here is an illustration of some of the problems.

Mostly due to non-planar polys. I was able to fix the problem by Tripling everything, but I have way too many polys if I do that.

DaveW
04-25-2002, 09:59 AM
For most game engines you'll have to use triangles, and for organic characters it's almost a must since animating them is sure to create nonplanars. However, during the modeling process it's usually more efficient to model polys with however sides they need, be it 3, 4, or 10 and triple it when you're done. If a particular nonplanar is bugging you then just select it and triple that one. You can always merge them together again if you need to (for knifing or bandsaw).

alaklij
04-25-2002, 07:04 PM
DaveW,
Thank you, that was most helpful!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.