PDA

View Full Version : Water explosion

Deepthroat
05-30-2003, 02:06 PM
I'm doing an underwater animation, and need to produce an underwater explosion, as well as an arial above water shot of the explosion. Im using max 5 and dont have access to real wave or any water dynamic plugins. Can anyone point in the right direction. I do have pro optic and afterburn. Fingers crossed.:bounce:

marci2001
05-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Not too much of FIRE, for God sake!
:beer:

VHashishV
06-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Its not really an explosion, more of an implosion. Watch hunt for red october. They used models and blew them up underwater.
And i agree with marci. Too much fiire is not good.
For the top of the water, its kinda like a small pop then a large splash. Watch maybe u571 and watch the depthcharges being dropped.

ya might be able to do it with gizmo's mess with the fog color and density to get it to look like some frothy bubble. A totaly transparent sphere with some work with glow's. You can get a smokey kind of very low light gassish pop and animate the radius of the circle for the underwater pop. On the top of the water a small meta particle spray. a few of them. One for the large water splash and a fine one for the mist. a particle spray for the underwater part for the air riseing from the explosion. very short pop.
That is my 2 cents.

Hrmm I think i am gunna mess with this give me something to do.

altered
06-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Explode first and after explosion it implose ?! (because of the pressure) It's what i think :)

VHashishV
06-02-2003, 07:04 PM
it is kinda hard to explain. The fireball does not spread like it does cus there is no air, but whatever is explodeing, depending on how much air there is.

Science wise, that the gass or whatever feeds the fire expands and speeds up, but the preasure pushes back. Depending on how deep, or how much air the ship might have, will depict how mig the explosion is.

hunt for red october when the sub blows up, has a REALLY good example of the explosion. Cus it was a large model that they blew up to scale or as best they could.

Its like blowing up a balloon really fast and letting the air out. The explosion is like round and not like spuratic or all over the place. And the particle spray should go up. and what ever blows up, has a moment where it rises up then drops.
The model sub they used split and the front and rear dropped and the middle rose a little. It also follow the path or least reisitance and going down in water has more presure. If that makes sense?

jussing
06-10-2003, 03:19 PM
HI-HO SILVER, hold your horses!! ;)

This maybe nitpicking, but Red October - as much as I loooove the movie - is a BAD example of underwater explosions. If you guys know for a fact that they blew up real models underwater, then fair enough, that superceeds my theory, but I say they did dry-for-wet smoke effects that look nothing like underwater explosions.

Check out the Alpha that blows up in Crimson Tide, THAT's a real underwater explosion. Maybe some of you guys are mixing up the two movies? :shrug:

...and, as mentioned, the depth-charges in U-571 are real-looking too.

As VHashishV said, the primary thing is the spherical explosion, which then turns into thousands of bubbles.

Cheers,
- Jonas

treed
06-10-2003, 06:43 PM
There's a scene that comes with max and it has charges dropping underwater and hitting a submarine. I think it's on 3ds max cd#2.

treed :applause:

VHashishV
06-11-2003, 04:01 AM
This maybe nitpicking, but Red October - as much as I loooove the movie - is a BAD example of underwater explosions. If you guys know for a fact that they blew up real models underwater, then fair enough, that superceeds my theory, but I say they did dry-for-wet smoke effects that look nothing like underwater explosions.

I am almost posative they did it underwater in red october. There was a TV show, Movie magic, and i have them on tape and i do recall them showing how they did it.
I do FX work on the side and this was the show that got me started :P
www.teamsolorobotics.com/FX.htm

Chris
06-11-2003, 04:50 AM
Yeah, I saw a making of on Red October & the built a scale model sub (around 4-5 metres long ish I think) & detonated explosives on it underwater - so its probably not too bad an example... :shrug:

jussing
06-11-2003, 12:52 PM
All right! ;) You guys seem pretty sure, so I'll have to accept there's a slight chance you're right... ;)

Still, I'm betting you lunch (easy, as we'll never meet IRL anyway ;)) that if you go home and check that Movie Magic tape, it's Crimson Tide, not Red October.

As of now, I don't have any rock-solid proof that I'm right, only subtle hint such as this site (http://www.subcommittee.com/Images/DM_3.html), and the Making Of Red October on the DVD, which both say that Red October's sub effects were shot dry-for-wet on a smoked stage. But they could still have chosen to shoot the explosions underwater.

Still, the best proof I have is this: watch Red October. Use your own judgment. It does NOT - by a longshot - look anything like underwater explosions.

Ciao :wavey:,
- Jonas

VHashishV
06-11-2003, 04:45 PM
AHhh your right. It was crimson tide. Just looked. I think the red october one was some like you said dry stuff with some compositing of an underwater explosion.

Also the abyss! totaly forgot about that one. They were real size underwater explosion when the little real robot's popped under preasure. Laviathan, deep blue with the shark i think has a few. If ya wanna see a shark blow up, jaws the first one. More of a surface water explosion. U571 has a fwe good ones.

Chris
06-12-2003, 06:26 AM
bugger - your right :D I must have got my sub movies mixed up hey? I guess we owe you lunch :beer:

blackdreamhunk
06-12-2003, 06:50 AM
If your making an under water scene your going to need a thik fog, you might want to have a moving texture of water at the top, with lights beaming down. I donot know how to do this in light wave however or I mean 3d max

jussing
06-12-2003, 09:35 AM
This is where I have to add, that for the above surface view, Red October actually has a supercool reference shot, where they blew up charges in or below the surface, sending cascades of water into the air.

Cheers,
- Jonas

VHashishV
06-13-2003, 03:37 AM
"sending cascades of water into the air"

I could not put my finger on the phrase but that is it when it comes to the above surface explosions.

As for the fog... I dont think the gizmo volume fog would look right. particle systems with gravity going UP to make bubbles and then messing with a smoke kind of texture for the particles to make the air bubles look like there is trapped air but still have the bubble look. Like ever blow cigeret smoke into a bubble. It has the reflection of a bubble but thicker but smoke and explosions inside. I dont know if a sphere over a gizmo smoke/bubble would work. Ya might get it popping outside of the bubble and that would ruin the shot.
Well, maybe it would work? but the transparency would need to be low enough to see the smoke inside.

Might be better of animating smoke or a noise inside the texture of a sphere or meta particle system. my 2 cents.

Pardon the spelling.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.