PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the Gremlin Into LightWave?

policarpo
05-30-2003, 06:30 AM
I was messing around with some MoCap on the Gremlin that installs with 4.03, and I was wondering how I would get that animation into LightWave so I could render it.

The Gremlin is a native MB .FBX file.

I couldn't find any info on it in the Manual or in the Knoweldge base.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. :beer:

Sil3
05-30-2003, 06:37 AM
Just an idea:

Export the character to LW, rigg it there, export FBX to MB, animate, import FBX into LW :)

lotīs of steps but it should work :beer:

Sil3

policarpo
05-30-2003, 06:51 AM
yeah...that's what I was afraid of. :)

Seems like a lot of extra steps.

Let's say I model something in LightWave and Rig in LightWave and export it to .FBX for use in MB.

Then I animate it to my liking in MB, and save it off as a .FBX.

Then let's say that the final animation is intended to be rendered out in Maya.

Would we still need to get the original Model, import it into Maya, rerig and weight it and export it to .FBX and open it in MB and apply my saved animation from the first bit to it?

Also, how do I save my original animation so it can be used with other characters I might bring in at a later date?

I just want to be clear about this.

:thumbsup:

3DDave
05-30-2003, 08:24 AM
How about modeling in Lightwave, Rigging in Maya, Animating in Motion Builder and rendering in Lightwave!

I get what you are saying. I think the current FBX format requires you to rig in the package that you are going to render the final animation in. Thus if Maya is it, then rig in Maya.

roguenroll
05-30-2003, 08:45 AM
if thats the case, it should be next on the upgrade list, specially
because I'm seeing alot more LW/MAYA pipelines. thats why im learning Maya too.

I hope

R

AJE
06-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by 3DDave
How about modeling in Lightwave, Rigging in Maya, Animating in Motion Builder and rendering in Lightwave!

That's my pipeline... seems to work pretty good from what I recall.
Although I haven't done any animation in a few months, so I'm probably quite rusty on the 'how' to do it...

oreba
06-07-2003, 01:12 AM
To my knowledge I think this is a compatibility issue with only lightwave....Other packages work fine...(Maya--->MB--->MAX)
There has been request to solve this issue in the next update probably...

-Oreba

RobPowers
06-08-2003, 09:15 PM
I noticed if you use the import .FBX plugin in lightwave it will load the character objects. They appear to be textured but, it seems to have a problem with nurbs surfaces. Seems to convert the geometry files in the .FBX to lwo format. However, I haven't been able to load a .FBX file with object and motion in lightwave so far.

RobPowers
06-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Another thing is when I use the .FBX Import plugin to Import some of the .FBX files in the Clipart collection from 3DBuzz - it seems to put a envelope on the layer opacity setting of 0% for the imagemaps. You can try it on one of the .FBX files in the "sets" folder in the Clipart collection. The objects appear to be loaded fine but so far ambient light is always set to 25%. The .FBX plugins for Lightwave seem to be almost there - they just need a little revamping.

LFGabel
06-10-2003, 04:41 AM
policarpo, try this.

Save out the mesh of the character bu selecting it and "saving selection". In that requester, select only the mesh.

In Lightwave, import (not merge) that FBX file and it should generate the LWOs for you. Load the LWOs onto Modeller, add skelegons.

Load the skelegoned LWO into layout, convert to bones, then to complete the skeletal hierarchy using parent in place.

It's helpful to know which bones were used in MB to begine with. Save your LW scene with the LWO in it.

When your MB animation is finished, select the entire scene branch and plot all animation properties. While the branch is still selected, "save selection" and create a new fbx file.

In LW, load your scene, and merge (not import) with FBX.

Theoretically this should work, but I haven't tested it fully.

Hope it helps.

policarpo
06-10-2003, 05:26 PM
yeah...i think that would work...but what a pain in the you know what. :)

i hope the .FBX format becomes a true universal tool, so we don't have to do this sort of stuff.

Hrmmm...is there anyway of exporting Bones from MB and importing these bones into LW so you don't have to do all this rerigging in order to get a MB native character and animation into LW?

I want to see this flow:
1. Model in 3dsmax
2. Rig in Maya
3. Animate in MB
4. Render in LightWave

:eek:

RobPowers
06-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Or any combination between XSI, Maya, Lightwave, and Max. Just make it completely open.

LFGabel
06-10-2003, 07:21 PM
If you start with Lightwave (model, rig), it's a heck of a lot more forgiving... rigging in Lightwave isn't that hard, especially with skelgons.

policarpo
06-10-2003, 08:16 PM
very true...just wanting it to be super easy ya know...shave off 5 minutes on setup time.

having content be read from all apps with bones intact would be killer!
:thumbsup:

i'd just love for LW to read a rig created in MB?

LFGabel
06-10-2003, 08:49 PM
When I did a quick test of what I wrote above, nulls seemed to have been imported with motion applied to them. If there is a plugin that converts nulls to bones or skelegons, you'd be in business!

policarpo
06-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Yeah....that would be too cool.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.