PDA

View Full Version : swimming pool water shader/technique URGENTLY NEEDED!

alecorre
08-01-2008, 06:10 PM
If someone has a great shader or a foolproof technique for getting the look of water in a swimming pool, far and CU, I would greatly appreciate the info. must have displacement as there are close up shots.

I have tried many different methods, but i am just not getting the look that I want so hopefully someone can chare their success.

Thanks

Allen

TheNeverman
08-03-2008, 03:38 PM
can you show what you have?
hard to comment on what we can't see...

YourDaftPunk
08-04-2008, 02:52 AM
http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

Aikiman
08-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Alecorre, I know Ive been trying to help you lately, just thought Id post a quick Oceans setup in case you dont believe me it works hehe. (or maybe this is not what you are after) without caustics.

alecorre
08-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Yep, that ocean shader did in fact do the trick for me. Thanks for steering me in that direction. Took some playing around with values but it worked nicely in the end. the crashing issue I had was ironically enough the fault of the main character model for some reason. Although, I found out that if you use physical sky and then delete it, and then try to batch render with your camera, it just won{t work. You have to duplicate your camera and delete the old one.

I canīt show the fruits of my labor yet though as the client has not signed off on it. One thing though, I wanted to create a wake, but it seemed that if the ocean was not at 0 in Y, that the wake would not work. I would have had to move everything and readjusted the cloth simulation and animation, so I ended up not being able to use it.

But thanks again for the comments. Very useful and timely.

Allen

Aikiman
08-04-2008, 09:56 PM
One thing though, I wanted to create a wake, but it seemed that if the ocean was not at 0 in Y, that the wake would not work.
Allen

mmm not sure how to go about that one, I guess being aware next time if you gunna use oceans to keep everything at zero. I might look into that one.

baran
08-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Hi, before moving the ocean from orgin to your current location, just group it once and move the group. you can get the wake effect without any issues.

Aikiman
08-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Hi, before moving the ocean from orgin to your current location, just group it once and move the group. you can get the wake effect without any issues.

Not sure what im doing wrong then, cause it wont work for me...maybe not possible with v.7?

TheRazorsEdge
08-05-2008, 07:22 AM
http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

Thanks for that link! Great stuff there! :)

baran
08-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Donno what to say.... you can check the attached scene files from maya masterclass...

two scene files with full setup of caustics in pool. If possible pl. post your scene file so that we can find some solutions.

Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2008, 11:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.