PDA

View Full Version : Soldier Fight Animation

derekkent
08-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

I've been working on a fight animation between two soldier guys, and my eyes have glazed over from looking at it over and over. I was wondering if I could get some fresh eyes to take a look at it. It's still in very rough blocking phase, and I know I've got intersecting geometry and some crappy gimble lock issues with the blue guy's left arm, but I was mainly wanting to find out if my timing is working, if my poses are reading, and also if my camera and staging shows what's going on clearly.

Here's a 2.6mb Quicktime file:

http://www.derekkent.com/WIP/Soldiers_BlockingPass001.mov

Thanks a bunch!

Derek

shadowholm
08-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Hello,

Personally I think it could be a little more clear when he gets kneed in the face. Also, I don't really like the final pose of the blue guy, after he stands up at the end.

I think the timing seems decent right now, though. =)

-Jason
jasonart.net

derekkent
08-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for taking a look Jason, and for your comments.

Yeah I don't like his pose at the end either. I think I need to have him turned some more, and maybe I'll add him wiping his nose with his forearm, or turning to walk off screen.

And I'll definitely try to push that knee-to-jaw pose more, so that it reads better.

Thanks again for your time,

Derek

GeoffClark
08-14-2008, 11:16 PM
the timing seems great to me! the only item I noticed was the fall of the victim. it just didn't look right. Maybe his legs should give out, briniging his torso down on top of it.

I like this piece a lot, though. Keep up the good work!

GC

XII
08-24-2008, 09:50 PM
very nice!

LEGC
08-26-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree with GeoffClark

derekkent
09-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone again, thanks for your cool comments.

Well, I've been really busy teaching, but now have been getting back to this animation clip. I re-blocked most of it, tried to take out a lot of unclear actions, and tried to make the timing better.

Again, this is still in the blocking phase, and I haven't gotten into hard core polishing yet. The way the blue guy gets up from the floor at the end is crappy right now too.

Anyway, let me know what you think, if my poses are reading, and if my timing needs major adjustments.

(2.4 Mb Quicktime)
http://www.derekkent.com/WIP/Soldiers_BlockingPass002.mov

Thanks!

Derek

EZartajuz
09-24-2008, 12:25 AM
The timing still looks floaty to me. Try selling your attacks more on the anticipation and having them whip through really quick.
For the blue guy's first punch it feels as if he's not stepping into it because his stride is so wide and in a different direction than his target. This could be simply the staging of it, but as it is he feels as if he's losing too much power because of how much you have him pivoting there.

When he turns around and starts to choke him, both characters feel way off balance, too much so to start going back the other direction by effort on either part. Maybe tone that back some and it should still read as a nice anticipation for the knee to the face.

derekkent
09-24-2008, 07:49 PM
EZartajuz,

Thanks a bunch for the notes, this is exactly what I need. I'll try to tone down that pullback on the neck grab, perhaps have the blue guy pull down as well as back also. I'll speed up the attacks more, and also try to address that issue with the first punch / swing.

Thanks again!

derekkent
09-26-2008, 03:35 AM
Hi again,

I've uploaded an updated clip of my soldier fighting animation here:

(2.1 Mb Quicktime)

http://www.derekkent.com/WIP/Soldiers_BlockingPass003.mov

I've tried to make things punchier, brought both characters back into balance during the neck grab, and adjusted the blue guy's pivoting when he throws the first missed punch. I'm hoping that everything is still readable.

Any thoughts on my timing or posing that could be addressed before I get into tracking my arcs and finessing everything?

Thanx!

derekkent
09-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Hi,

I've posted another update to my animation here:

(2.1 Mb Quicktime)
http://www.derekkent.com/WIP/Soldiers_BlockingPass004.mov

I've started to polish this thing, making sure the feet don't pop through the floor, tracking arcs, etc., but I've got a long way to go, especially the contact stuff during the neck grab.

thanks for taking a look

thejudge07
09-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Hey man, I like that rig from High-end. I personally found it hard to use, but anyways about your animation. I think the newer version is definatly better, silouettes, that is. I think the poses could be better reinforced, like the punch follow through, and the knockback effect. Some frames should be slowed down, like when they grapple, it just seems to fast and unpolished. A grapple should be smooth, swift, and you should feel the struggle of the two characters. Interaction is key. Just make it less floaty over all, and keep polishing it oh and like I said, keep an eye on the silouettes.

thejudge07
09-29-2008, 03:04 AM
Now that I watched it again, it all just seemed over all too fast

derekkent
12-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Hi everyone, here's an update on the Soldier fight animation I've been working on bit by bit with any spare time I've had during the weekends and evenings. I tried to fix a lot of pops, track my arcs, adjusted a lot of the spacing, and tried to make the punches at the end easier to read by adjusting the timing quite a bit. I also added a little character bit at the end for the 'triumphant' blue soldier.

Last month I had received a really awesome critique from Ryan, Mike, and Rick who do the Reanimator's podcast (http://drasticgraphics.com/reanimators/). They were instrumental in helping me whip this animation into shape.

Looking back at my first posting of this animation kinda makes me want to puke, but at least I feel like I'm improving bit by bit!

It sure does pay to get as many fresh eyes on your work as possible. Thanks everyone!

(2.0 mb Quicktime File)
http://www.derekkent.com/WIP/SoldierFightingThumb01.jpg (http://www.derekkent.com/WIP/SoldierFightComp03a_121308.mov)

aeacides
12-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey there,

lots of improvements since the first post. The thing I see that need a lil' work is the missed punch (near frame 40 to 55). It looks a little floating.

I would suggest more responsiveness, after he missed it. Or probably he could be surprised (eg: How come I missed that one!).
or
just one word: Apprehension (Is he going to punch me hard ?).

It's up to you there ... probably just adjusting the timing, because your poses are enough readable.

I hope this is clear enough :lightbulb

cheers

derekkent
12-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi aeacides,

Thanks a bunch for taking a look at my clip. I'll be sure to try and incorporate your suggestions into my next pass!

Crow_OR
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Haha great stuff! I love the fluidity of it and the character facial expressions throughout. The animation of the loser's head when being pummeled is really well done, reinforces the strength of the blows! One thing that i'd suggest is that perhaps on the first missed swing, maybe he should stumble one more step? At the moment he sort of stops after the first step and that soaks up a bit of the momentum too much!

Anyway, that being said, great stuff. I look forwards to seeing more! :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.