PDA

View Full Version : Flames??!!!

pixelMover
05-30-2003, 05:58 AM
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine has a project in mind for me to do. He needs CG flames coming out a window. He will shoot the footage and I need to do the flames in CG, but don't know the easiest way. The camera will not be in motion for the sequence which includes the flames. I use Maya 4 and he will be editing with an AVID editor. This is my first time trying to render realistic CG flames and incorporating that into live footage.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to accomplish this in Maya? My friend will need to be able to take what I render and use the AVID to composite this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

gmask
06-01-2003, 09:09 PM
You could start out by trying the fire effect and then render several passes of it with different settings. This will give you richness and the variances that real fire and most particle effects nee dto be somewhat convincing. You'll also need to do the same with the smoke as there should be some.. I would also say that compositing in the avid is probably not the best way to finish this effect. He should export the desired clip uncompressed and let you do the the compositing.

alexx
06-02-2003, 04:58 PM
i think this is mostly a comp job..

to get really realistic flames you should have good flame footage like real fire or something comparable..

either you tweak that in the comp tool or you map the fire in maya to an object..

creating real (!) looking fire in maya 4 is close to impossible using particles.

flames usually have very long streaks and a quite complex shading, which is very hard to get with the software/hardware particles..
a mix of them both is usually a good start.

if the fire is further away you could as an addition use some of the paint fx fire brushes that are not that bad at all..

cheers

alexx

Als
06-03-2003, 11:02 AM
You can make very good flames with fluids.
Start with get fluid setup -> fire ->
turbulent flame.
You have to make geometry as a where
to start the flames from, and as well for
collisions. You can add some more smoke
if you need so, check burn paper setup for
reference.
You can also convert objects to soft bodies,
and add some radial fields on created
particles, so they bounce the flames off
(with particles and field selected use
selected as source of field).

Hope you have fluids...

On AW web site there is a DVD, which explain
how to make fire with particles.
It's not that bad, but it's not really photoreal.

Also check
http://www.lightengine3d.com/index2.html
ashcloud1 on the bottom of the page in
downloads, it can be use to make nice fire in
distance.
But the best is to use combination of effects,
and comp some real fire with extra CG.
Very important it to get scale of fire right,
and flickering light on objects around,
as well as to add haze in comp.

Al

alexx
06-03-2003, 11:19 AM
he is using maya 4.0 --- so no fluids

Als
06-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Darn, sorry,
didn't notice this...

Als
06-03-2003, 04:28 PM
If some of your friends have particle
illusion, this is not bad to do some fire...
Check it out...

http://www.wondertouch.com

Otherwise you might give it a shot with
particle sprites, by maping real footage
of fire.

Al

pixelMover
06-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. It has really helped.

Cheers,
David

Gremlin
06-12-2003, 11:15 AM
the best results would prolly be the using real fire footage method as mentioned.... dont try and make flames in maya, unless its absolutely neccesary. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.