PDA

View Full Version : Basic Rigging Tutorial

Kricket
05-30-2003, 04:00 AM
Just finished putting together a basic rigging tutorial, enjoy.

http://demented3d.com/tutorial/ma-rigging/

Sil3
05-30-2003, 04:36 AM
Nice tut, but one question, why do u feel the need to use a "Knee Constrain", u can achieve the same resultīs with another Null parented to the Elbow (or LowerLeg) and tie the rotation of the Upper_Arm (or Leg) to a channel of that Null with an Expression. I find it simpler to setup, and it works :)

Sil3

ps: When u modeled your character in LW was he facing backwards to u? if not, then try to rotate it and then check the Knee expression again, i had problems with Messiah on some Expressions because the model was facing me when i send it to Messiah.

Kricket
05-30-2003, 04:53 AM
ooo, will have to try that, thanks! =)

the character was turned around in LW Modeler. (Had to be in Back view to look at his face)

Sil3
05-30-2003, 06:24 AM
To view the characterīs face switch to the front view :) Thatīs how i used to export characters to Messiah, the other way around some Expressions behave very funny, cant recall right now wich Expressions gave me bad results, since i dont use Messiah almost anymore :(

Sil3

bradenbickle
06-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Yo, Sil3

How about sharing more info or a small tut on that elbow technique.

I'm looking for a simpler version on my own rig.

That sounds perfect.

Sil3
06-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Sure np :)

Itīs actually faster to do it than to write it :P

Since in here i dont have messiah in front of me (im at work) do a small sample scene like this:

-Draw 2 bones

-Add Null, call it Elbow Ctrl

-Parent the Null to the SECOND bone, since parenting will place the Null at the Bones Pivot, the Null will be right where it should be.

-In the Expression TAB, make a new Variable, select the Null channel u want (the one that will give u more visual feedback) and assign it to the rotation of the channel u want it to control on the FIRST Bone . For example letīs say u want to rotate the Null on the Bank Channel and while doing so, the First Bone will rotate on Heading.

This is it, simple :)

If u r confused how to write the expression, see the docs and look for the Simple Expression tutorial, i think itīs the one with the camera, (im not sure, can only take a look at it in a couple of days or weeks, since im out of town foir now) or anyone else that knows what im talking about can make a sample scene and post it.

Hope it helps

ps: U really dont write anything on the Expressions, u will only choose and click.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.