PDA

View Full Version : What would be your dream system?

epatnor
04-24-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi there!

Some time ago there was a thread by Sigma where he asked what kind of systems you were all running.

Well, I'd like to turn the tables on you and sak what kind of system you would really like! And post a poll with the price ranges that you could consider being fair to keep it realistic, at least on this planet... :p

So maybe no SGI Onyx 3000 maybe but... well what the heck! Dream on guys! :)

Just to clarify: I want to see a spec of the dream system you would like to work on at home or in your little animation / video fx studio, not the system you will use when you finally get to work at Pixar... ;)

I know you've been thinking about it... now share it!

Cheers! :beer:
epatnor

Stahlberg
04-25-2002, 10:30 AM
I'm getting a 3DBoxx: dual AMD's, 3 GB RAM, Quadro4 900 and some other little bits and pieces, without a monitor and tax only 4722 bucks. Since this is the best they can do for 3d it will have to suffice as my dream. :) Dell had a slightly hotter system for 6700 (or much hotter for 11,000), but that 3dBoxx system is certified by Alias, and made specifically for 3d.

SheepFactory
04-25-2002, 11:26 AM
you are going to love that system Steven :D ,

i have one with your specs (1 gig of ram though) , it runs maya like a dream. quadro 4 is just awesome , i was using quadro dcc before , the performance increase is amazing.

best

A|i

epatnor
04-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Well, I thought I'd share my ideas aswell, since I came up with the idea :)

Steven, you almost nailed it:

Originally posted by Stahlberg
I'm getting a 3DBoxx: dual AMD's, 3 GB RAM, Quadro4 900 and some other little bits and pieces, without a monitor and tax only 4722 bucks. Since this is the best they can do for 3d it will have to suffice as my dream. :) Dell had a slightly hotter system for 6700 (or much hotter for 11,000), but that 3dBoxx system is certified by Alias, and made specifically for 3d.

But, I would like to add a few points (dreams remember :p):

1. Add a HDBoxx. Right now I'm building a separate edit/composite machine, all I have to do is throw out my old MiroVideo DC30 and put in a Matrox RT2500. But since we´re dreaming, HDBoxx would be the killer machine for the task. Fully equipped with monitors and all the extras. A HD camcorder is so far out of reach, even for a dream... :eek:

2. Data security and redundancy is vital when it comes to creative content. Another thing is loads of HD space. So... I would like to have a phat server in my network, designed for distributing video and to share content for project management. So we're also talking 1000 Mb/s network. Plus you can put that in ur basement, you don't want something that looks like a refrigerator and sounds like a powerplant in your creative sanctuary.... right?

3. Add to the 3DBoxx described by Steven a 24" flat screen.

Summary:

A 3DBoxx

A HDBoxx

A couple of Compaq Proliants in a rack in the basement

One workplace designed for 3D animation

One workplace designed for editing / compositing

One really big win at the national lottery :grin:

There ya go! I'll write again and tell you how it all works! :hmm:

Steven: I'm a huge fan of your work, I hope you'll be satisfied with your new 3DBoxx!

epatnor
04-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Hmmmm :hmm: I think I have to add to my list a bigger apartment!

Arrghh - make it a beach side mansion in the Swedish archipelago! :thumbsup:

MadMax
04-26-2002, 09:39 PM
I build all my systems since I can do every bit as good a build as Boxx or any other manufacturer can.

That also allows me to get everything 100% exactly as I want it.

My IDEAL system is going to come early next year with Dual AMD Opteron processors (the 64 bit Sledge hammer), my stop gap will be the 64 bit AMD Clawhammer chips in October, running a 64 bit version of Windows.

phatgroovn
04-27-2002, 05:12 AM
I'd like to have this for an email checking station.

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/content/home/shop_ShopIBM/en_US/eServer/pSeries/high_end/690_7040681T.html

oh yeah, and an ART card in each of the 160 PCI slots, hehe:airguitar

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.