PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a trilobite.

lightcache
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi guys im trying (without much success!) to rig a nice multilegged animatable trilobite

like this

http://www.nickjainschigg.org/Images/Trilobite/Trilo+Extralegs.html

but im not getting anywhere fast. doe's anyone know of any tuts that can help me acheive this effect?

thanks in advance,
cache :)

Buexe
07-31-2008, 01:09 PM
So, what part do you have problems with? Getting this time offset, so you don`t have to animate every "leg" by itself or what?

lightcache
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
hi buexe, yes it's getting the time offset to avoid collisions of the legs, and getting the "ripple" effect between the legs as they move backwards and forwards.

Buexe
07-31-2008, 01:35 PM
I suppose you can use expressions, here is what such an expression could look like, create two cubes ( pCube1 + pCube2 ) and create some animation on rotateZ of pCube1, now create this expression:

$time = `currentTime -q`;

$offset = -4;

pCube2.rotateZ = `getAttr -time ($time+$offset) pCube1.rotateZ`;

As you can see I use some MEL commands to query the current time and then query an atrribute´s value at another point in time, thus getting a timed offset. The offset can be adjusted by the $offset variable. Since this query can be quite performance heavy if you plan to have many trilobites, it would be wise to query only the rotation of one lead object and than have some sort of calculation that does the rest so that you don`t need to do this query for every leg on every trilobite. I hope this helps.

lightcache
07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
perfect thanks :)

there are going to be quite a few of them for this job, but im going to have them as particle instances all baked at different positions.
many thanks thanks for the help.

kind regards;

digitalandrew
08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
You could also look into the frameCache node. That's built for things like that. The only thing is it only works once you start keyframing and playing the anim back... it doesn't show the result in realtime.

-a

lightcache
08-03-2008, 07:47 PM
thanks for the tip, i'll look into that too :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2008, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.