PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Walk Cycle

tylerfegley
07-30-2008, 03:49 AM
Hey, this is a walk cycle I have been working on. My first time using a rig thats not mine and it is a lot better than mine. It is on youtube so it doesn't look as smooth as I was hoping. Anyways, would love to hear what anyone thinks, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O17nMHXWmOc

Nucleo
07-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Hey man,

I like what you done with it but if you need a more constructive critique i suggest you upload it in quicktime, it looks nice and smooth but its very difficult to c&c and the rotating camera makes it even harder at least for me. Cool stuff.

Andreas

tylerfegley
07-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Hey thanks, here's a split screen which hopefully helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZBDeaRXdoY

Nucleo
07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Hey again,

Ah nice it much more clear now. From the side view only thing i notice is that he looks off balance like he is going to fall on his behinds maybe rotate the spine to lean forward a bit more.

From the front view in my opinion the head looks a bit disconnected from the rest of the body it has way too much movement maybe tone it down a bit also try to do the same when its going from one C shape to the other. I tried to pause it to check your poses but its very difficult, it seems there are a couple of poses that they dont make sense in terms of balance. Good work. Hope this helps.

earchild
07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
the thing that sticks out the most to me is how the hands snap into their forward movement after hitting the backward extreme. Maybe try offsetting the various joints in the arm and hand a little more to help alleviate that. It also looks like the COG has no upward movement to mimic the rise and fall of the body as it takes steps. Love the attitude, has Project Runway written all over it. :)

andrewmartin
08-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Looks good! Definitely some personality coming through in that walk.

I'd like to see more up/down movement in the torso. Have him sink into his hips more on each step.

Good work!

BTW I agree with Nucleo re YouTube. Quicktime is my animation-critique-format of choice too, but any format where we can control the clip frame by frame will be of the most benefit to you.

BenCole
08-02-2008, 03:29 AM
the biggest thing that doesnmt make this beleivable is that he looks like he is floating or something, he needs mroe weight, his hips barely move up/down at all and only rotate.

AFightingPanda
08-03-2008, 12:23 PM
There are two things that are bugging me on this which I think if altered could make it better. 1. The characters head isnt moving all that much I want to see a bit of bob in there, I also think since this is almost the same thing that the torso needs more translation up and down to show a bit more weight. 2 The characters arms are preceeding the torsos movements. what I mean by that is that every movement in the body starts from the hips and moves outward. so to move the arm it would be hips, chest, shoulder, forearm, hand. when right now you have the shoulder and elbow moving before the hip and chest has a solid chance to get into position so I would say you need to offset the arm movement just 2 or 3 frames to keep that rythm going on your character.

Hostutler
08-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I love it. The swagger and his overall posture as he walks is perfectly executed and hilarious, good job and keep it up!

kalfred02
08-14-2008, 06:00 PM
It definitely needs more up and down in the hips. Ya know though, I think you should have it actually walk like a scary creepy goblin. It doesn't really make sense to me that he's walking like a woman. Also when you go to put it into your reel it will read off the bat, and a future employer won't stop to ask.. "why...a goblin..walking like a girl?".

Keep goin!
~ Kent

tylerfegley
08-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey thank you so much for all the advice. It has helped a lot. I have tried to change it up and use all the feedback and this is what I came up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUWaaQft8UM

Also, I tried to make him walk like a girl because I thought that might be funny and interesting. There may be goblins out there that walk like this.

andrewmartin
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I think it's looking better, maybe a little stiff though...

As for it walking "like a girl", I think it's a good thing. Whether it works in this instance or not is a moot point; you've avoided a cliche and that's the way an animator should think. And since goblins don't actually exist, you can make them walk any way you like!

Well done!

JayG
08-17-2008, 02:42 AM
I'd hold the up on the hips for one more frame, or maybe just pull the tangent out a little to break up the evenness. Even though it's a woman, you want the hips coming down a little harder because of the way they move and rotate. At this point the hips look like they are moving up and down evenly, where you want to ease through the top and come down hard.

His hips from the front remind me of a runway model with that heavy side to side, but his shoulders and upper body seem very relaxed. From a potentially blinded cliche standpoint it bugs me, but if it's what you're going for than rock on. Reason it bugs me from what I know, is because a runway model is on a mission. She steps down hard and walks with purpose. She has taken a lot of time to look so good and wants to make sure people see her. Her feet hurt from walking all night, the dress she is wearing is rediculously uncomfortable and she hasn't smoked a cigarette in like 20 minutes. Rarely do you see a runway model walking slouched and so "relaxed" in the upper body so it just doesn't click to fit in my brain.

2cents.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2008, 02:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.