PDA

View Full Version : Marker Rendering Style

Kevinski
04-24-2002, 06:38 PM
Just getting some practice in.
Tria Markers and Acrylic Highlights.

The Design isn't great, basically just different parts from the SW:Ep1 (AAT) welded together.
Not a lot of thought went into the design side of things,
I was mainly trying to practice getting some Texture in the Rendering and Lighting the form well.

These are two things that I think Doug Chiangs marker renderings excell in.
Examples of his techniques can be seen at his site. http://www.dchiang.com/

This image set was completed in one evening probably over 4-5 hours.
Unfortunately I often ended up seeing somthing catchy in the Art of Star Wars: Episode 1 book, then spending the next half hour flicking through it just admiring the artwork.
:buttrock:

Crits and Feedback welcomed.
I think this may be my first Post to the board. Wahey!
:wavey:

-Kevinski

Kevinski
04-24-2002, 06:41 PM
Maybe this will work

Adam Klein
04-24-2002, 07:17 PM
excellent, I think you are coming along greatly with what you are trying to achieve, very clean drawing, and the surfaces are really getting there

ADam

Foloking
04-24-2002, 07:52 PM
Very nice! I love it! :love: Is it possible to realise this style of painting on a computer? do you have some tutorials and if no where could i find it(url maybe)?

Keep on going! :buttrock: :airguitar :buttrock: :airguitar :buttrock:

mrflynn
04-25-2002, 05:41 AM
hmm my marker work really is the shitest

can ya give me some tips on how you did the blending of the bright parts with the surfaces?:rolleyes:

Kevinski
04-25-2002, 02:51 PM
Cheers for the Comments guys.
just a few comments back.

Detailing:
Unfortunately I think the image turned out a bit over worked on the fine details, The overall design was done on an A3 sheet, The droids only turning out to be about 50mm high. I think that simpler line work hinting at the form would have made the image crisper.

http://www.tjframe.com/

Digital Concepting:
I Think that trying to realise this kind of style with Digital Media could be more work than is worth the effort.

I love the Digitally Painted Concept work that is being done out there.
It looks like it is done Quickly, and Strongly built up. With very clear definition of Light, Form and Tone. But I think the work lends itself more to Scenes and Environments rather than Objects and Products.

http://www.alyudesign.com/

Blending Technique:
I find that by keeping the leading edge wet, (which can be helped greatly by using specific Marker Pads) you can blend a dark into a light fairly effectively as long as it is done quickly, Fast strokes will leave less ink on the paper, giving a smoother blend without splodges or severe blending.

For the really bright areas, use either a blender marker, or a 10% light.

http://www.artbyfeng.com/

Take it easy
-Kevinski

mrflynn
04-25-2002, 05:21 PM
im stupid could you elaborate on the blending?

i know your supposed to lay down lighter colours first and use darker colours over but..

do i run the marker fast "towards" the light colour and hope for the best?

hmm ill give it a try and thanks for the help so far i love marker renders but i know im no match ;p ive only been using them lightly for around 6 months..

Kevinski
04-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately I dont have a blend marker with me, but I tried to demonstrate the basics.
I'm by no means a master with these, Its only stuff that I have been experimenting with recently, and is giving me some fairly nice results.

If there is anyone out there who feels they are proffesional enough to give any extra advice/ideas, please feel free to contribute. 'Come on Feng, I know you are out there somewhere...' :airguitar

Basically the blend shown has stages.
lvl1, is a Tria Pantone 544-T, Simply inked heavy to light.

stage 2 quickly becomes stage 3
My Cool Grey 10, was inked lightly over the pale blue(2), then the pale blue was used to Blend the two together quickly while the ink was still wet.

stage 4
Once this had dried, I worked into it a little, using both markers, a 2nd pass to make the Darks Darker, and the Blue Bluer.

Hope this helps.

Kevinski
04-25-2002, 06:31 PM
ummmm... the attachment cleared when I went to preview. :)

mrflynn
04-25-2002, 11:02 PM
na it just went over my head sorry ;( thanks for tryin to help me though...

Foloking
04-26-2002, 01:15 AM
thanks a lot for this help! :thumbsup:

So, i live in belgium and i dont can find the prisma color marker like Feng use. but i can find panton marker, this one is a similar marker like prisma color? if not, do you know another marker like prisma color? thx m8 :grin:

jeroentje
04-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Hi Foloking,

(Don't know if you speak flemish or french, so my reply is in english.)
Maybe you can find AD-markers. They definitely give the best colors, make less stripes (!), and they last a whole lot longer, because they are alcohol-based instead of water-based. I heared they are only legal here in Holland, but since you live in Belgium...

Groetjes, Jeroentje

mrflynn
04-26-2002, 08:15 PM
hmm im using alcohol based zig markers

dodgy stufF?

Foloking
04-26-2002, 10:14 PM
ok, thx for the help jeroentje ;)
Today i go to my store of drawing and i have take a look for a marker. The man me said the AD color is good but he dont sell it, pantone is ok too :) i have buy the pantone marker cool gray 4.
I'm happy for the result but it's very expensive!

Pantone marker (http://www.currys.com/markers/triaset.html)

http://www.graphiland.it/images/produits/tria.gif

Kevinski
04-26-2002, 10:19 PM
I used those LetraSet Tria Markers for the original concept image at the start of the thread.

I used Warm Greys, 10%, 30% and 70%..
then blended these with a fairly pale blue and a skin tone marker.
respectively on the Blueish, and Orangish areas.

Foloking
04-26-2002, 10:36 PM
I can use any kind of paper?

Adam Klein
04-27-2002, 03:25 AM
I've bought marker paper before but I really don't like it, grab the paper out of your printer (If its not too thin) and give that a try, I've heard that concept artists use it all the time., cheap, and, well, perfect!

AK

Foloking
04-27-2002, 05:57 AM
Thx a lot m8 ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.