PDA

View Full Version : Wire deformer not listening to mel expression driven rig

trancor
07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
So, I'm working on a character for my thesis, just a small little creature that is gonna be used with a particle system to be the character in a crowd generator I wrote for maya.

So I want the ears to be dynamic, so that even though the characters are doing relatively the same animations but in different speed and offsets, the ears will be donig their own thing.

Basically the set up I have is an object, with a hair system, separate from the main skinned object, the hair system has two folicles inside the base of each ear. The curves in this hair are parented up with the main controller so it can scale and animate as it should in the mob system. The hair system and folicles are on their own in a separate group. Those two curves are used as wire deformers for the respective ear on the skinned object.

Edit - The object with the hair is non moving, in a separate group than the rig or anything moving.

The scene itself is simply an animation test of my character standing there then to speed up into a run and then a faster run (This is what my expression is telling the controllers on the rig to do). The ACTUAL animation within these frames is -- from frame 0-24 is standing there 30-54 is a run cycle, from 60-114 is nothing, and 120-144 is a jumping animation (Which shouldn't be visible in any capacity).

I hit play in maya on the timeline; everything simulates just fine as though the hair is connected to the body. But I go and render out 240 frames of my test animation and the hair is fallowing the keyframes, not what the script is telling the rig to act and move.

I've tried putting the same expression into a before dynamics runtime on a particle system, didn't work either.

The 240 frame test render - 2.56 meg
http://upload.metal-asylum.net/trancor/runnerStandToWalkCompress.avi
(right click and download; the mime settings on my website wont allow you to view this in the browser [or shouldn't at least])

trancor
07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Ok, so I've changed my set up, I don't need hair to control may ears. If someone knows another way of doing what I'm trying to do, I'd be much obliged

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.