PDA

View Full Version : 'shave and a hair cut' mirror option?

JimmyLev
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help with this one. Are there any kind of mirror option for 'shave and a haircut', or some kind of workaround?

and one last thing. How do I use any of the brushes, without editing both the front and the back side of the geometry?

Jimmy

geonak
07-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help with this one. Are there any kind of mirror option for 'shave and a haircut', or some kind of workaround?

i would take the curves from one side mirror them to the oter side then make the hair definition just follow them. please don't hesitate if you still need a step by step.

lightcache
07-30-2008, 08:56 AM
ah cool this sounds interesting, im having a nightmare with shave and haircut. following curves sounds ideal. has anyone used the digital tutors dvd on shave for maya?

is it worth getting?

JimmyLev
07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
thanks for the responds guys,

light:

no havent tried it, but definetly want to at some point.

geonak:

yes the curves, should have wrote it myself, already did that :)
But i can only get a rough direction on the fur, it would be optimal if i could fine tune the fur/hair, on one side and then mirroring it.

the thing i do now is using a grow mesh that have the same geo as the ori model(its a bear, need the fur to follow completly). then i have a lower geo version of it, that i use for sculpting so i dont have an insane amount of hairs i need to tweak. Then i copy that hair node over to the high geo model. That works ok, but it slows me down alot that i still have to sculpt both sides :(
Unfortunaly it doesnt seems like there is any kind of mirroring option available for 'shave' but perhaps there is a way to use maya's own tools to mirror the guides?

Another thing that slows me down is that the sculpt brushes ignores the geo grow surface, so i need to select guides to be able to use the sculpt brushes. Would be alot faster i could just paint direcly on the guides, and not having it sculpt the other side of the geo aswell. :) any tips on that perhaps?

Best Regards

Jimmy

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.