PDA

View Full Version : Rigid vs Smooth binding

dzogchen
05-29-2003, 04:36 PM
When do we use rigid binding and smooth binding? Are there any difference in advantages or is it just a matter of personal preference? Thanks in advance.

harpua
05-30-2003, 12:19 AM
The differences between the two are:

Rigid binding can only distribute the weight of a specific CV to one joint. Then the deformation corrections are set up with flexors. One advantage to this is Maya can calculate the rigid binding much faster than smooth binding.

Smooth binding allows a CV to be affected by more than one joint at a time. The deformation correction is done by painting the weights to determine how much influence a single CV receives from multiple joints.

Hope that helps.

Levitateme
06-04-2003, 05:05 AM
i prefer smooth binding, painting the weights is... ... tiresome ...cough... rigid you would use for like wackky robots! smooth skinning i dont think is slow, i can see why it can be said though. there are ways around it , make a low res of your model with wrap deformers for instance.

harpua
06-04-2003, 08:11 PM
I prefer smooth skining also. I really like using CPS or Smooth proxy and skin to the low res and have it drive the high res. You get great interaction with the low res for animating.

kmp3d
06-04-2003, 08:21 PM
without a doubt.... I completely agree with harpua. Smooth binding to a low rez that drives a high rez is probably one of the best and easiest way to go. I like it better than wrap deformers just because of the direct connection of the mesh between the low rez and the high rez.... I think its provides much more accurate deformations than a wrap deformer does. And CPS just makes the whole process a pleasure to deal with. With this method creating your blendshapes on the low rez is also very easy to do..... it provides clean and accurate deformations to high rez model.

nottoshabi
06-04-2003, 10:18 PM
I have to say I like smooth over rigid, but rigid you can use a flexor to deform your mesh in some parts of your character. For examle I have to rig a fat character that is wearing overals and has a belt around his waist that is part of the overlas, with rigid I just aply a flexor around the waist and the job si done. But with smooth I cant get the deformations right it just wont bend around the waist properly. So I guess is a love and hate situation.

Ckerr812
06-08-2003, 11:52 AM
You could always use both, because painting weights is a big pain in the ass. Especially if you use smooth bind on something like a hand, you would be painting weights all day, when you could just use a rigid bind and some flexors and be done in 15 minutes.

loked
06-09-2003, 12:27 AM
I think both have their place in rigging. It's stupid to say which is the better method or which is the correct method.:argh: They are both equally as good and equally as correct, it just depends where and on what you use them. If you are creating a robot or a very mechanical type character, then its almost imperative that you use rigid binding. If you have a character with muscles and a very accurate anatomy. In order for the body to deform correctly, you'd have to use a lot of smooth binding, if not entirely.

So learn to use both, they are both there for a reason and both have their place.

Later :wavey:

Loked

Morbid Angel
06-14-2003, 07:52 PM
while i tried wrap deformer on highpoly model and morph targets...just could wait for it to calculate the wrapping so i made a lowpoly smooth porxy, then applied morphs to lowpoly cage then bound to skeleton with smooth skin
worked like a charm as well as it was much lighter. And yeah nonqad subdivisions are not supported by mental ray so poly is a way to go.

dzogchen
06-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the information and opinions on this topic. When painting weights on a sub D model with smooth binding, it is painfully slow and at times not responding at all.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.