PDA

View Full Version : Removing a layer but keeping the effect

BorgKiller
07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Hello All,

I have a tough question that I have been scratching my head over for ages. I am making an effect in After Effects CS3. What I am looking to achieve is a de-cloaking like effect using the 'Glow' Effect. When I thought of this, I thought there was a similar thing to 'Fill Opacity' like in Photoshop but I cannot find it. What I want to do is remove the image in the layer but keep the effect so I can control the effects opacity and the images opacity seperatly. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks,
Karl

Ps. I have attached an image of the comp so you can see what I am talking about.

Mylenium
07-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Effects operate intra-layer, hence it is impossible to remove their pixels just by a simple blending operation. Only layer styles allow this - if you import a PSD with "Blend if" definitions, AE will obbey it, though it will not expose any controls and the effect cannot be adjusted from within AE. Specific to your case you will simply have to use a duplicate of your layer sans glow, but with all the wobble and make it the inverted matte for your other layer. The glow will stay, the rest will be set to transparent (zero Alpha).

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2008, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.