PDA

View Full Version : Transfer SoftMod-weight to skin?

hakanpersson
07-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I know this is not possible by default in Maya. Merely wondering what you would think about the idea. To transfer the weight of a SoftMod to a joint.

For example when you skinpaint the fingertip, you could place a softmod at the tip, expand the size with b-key (of course with falloff-mode:surface). Then select the joint+SoftMod and transfer its weight to the joint. Same idea could be used to flood the weight of seperate elements like eyes.

Possibly any script that available that could handle such operation?

modi
07-29-2008, 12:53 AM
i'm also very interested in such a script, i use soft mods for most of my facial rigging. At times its so much easier to paint wts to the JAW with the softMods using the Surface option.
Then i usually end up transferrring the wt maps of the softmod to a file and importing it to the Jaw bone.
Would be awesome if we could script it without using attribute maps.
How bout a convert softmod to a joint feature?
cheers
Modi

hakanpersson
07-29-2008, 08:44 AM
i use soft mods for most of my facial rigging.
Facial features was actually in my mind aswell. Especially lips/eyebrows. It could be much easier to get smooth curvings between joints that way.

How bout a convert softmod to a joint feature?
Perhaps even better? Once again for eyebrows, create a set of softmods, tweak their strenght, convert to joints. Though that would instantly be alot more work to create (create+parent joint + add to the skin). You could take a look at this one:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/modeling/misc/softMod-Manipulator-3788.html

Im just looking for a 1-button solution to speed up skinsweighting right now. Not much of a scripter though, so it would take me forever to do that myself:)

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2008, 08:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.