PDA

View Full Version : New Character Animation Demo Reel

Woodsider
07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey there. I just finished my demo reel and put it up online. I would love to get some feedback. I graduated from college this spring and am looking for my first industry job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sdjhrSGlPY

Sadly, my hosting wont allow large file uploads so I put it up on YouTube. Be sure to watch it in high quality! Thanks

Michael Woodside

drawallday
07-27-2008, 05:14 PM
First of all, congratulations with your graduation!

I checked your demo out of blue while rendering something. Seems like you have too many different mediocre animated segments thrown together. Personally I would pick one favorite segment and try to improve it. I think one or two incredible and memorable segment can be enough to make a great demo.

Hope that helps.

Woodsider
07-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks Michael. I appreciate your straight forward criticisms. I am learning and am (hopefully) constantly getting better (you should see my old reel.) So hopefully the next one will be even better!

Mudokon83
07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah right now all your dialogue and movement stuff is "almost" there, i would keep doing 11 sec. club stuff, stick with walk/runs/box pushes/jumps if you want a game job, if you want a film animation job, stick with character pieces, really watch ALL the 11 second club animations, get a rig you are comfy with and continue doing facial animation, posting iterations in 11 second club forums for critique and keep improving.

if you need a job asap since graduating, i'd look for any temp/contract jobs for games. Customize your reel around polished pieces, 1min or less is best for a reel overall with no experience at any place.

so game reel = runs/walks/jumps etc
film reel = 1 to 2 character interaction dialogue showing emotion and humor/sadness with great timing and style.

also do searches for "animation mentor" on youtube and watch all of them. all of them, even crappy AM videos still show the kind of assignments people are working on that you can work on also.

Radiospank
07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
on the bird cycle the front view was okay , but the 3/4 vview it looked like he was gonna tip over the whole time. also for your first dialogue it was okay, no real strong poses, so it was hard to read. The final pose was even harder, it made no sense. So i'd really consider the last pose and also work on more tests to really get a feel for the rig and acting

x70
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
It was ok. very well done animation. But Nothing that really sets you apart from anyone else. I would also recommend hosting video on blip.tv rather then youtube.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.