PDA

View Full Version : clean loop fluids

stork
07-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I am hoping one of the more seasoned Maya dynamics folks can help out on this one. I'm using Maya fluids to generate fire (honestly the default turbulent fire looks fine) for a 10 second clean loop. is there a way to get the simulation to return itself to a state right after the initial burst so I can build a clean loop? Meaning the rendered frame at 10-ish seconds needs to match the frame at roughly 1-ish seconds (after the flame bursts on and stabilizes)

fedayi
07-28-2008, 04:33 AM
im not sure if this is possible, becuase the fluid itself is dynamic. but who knows, maybe you can, maybe you cant.

Im curious about this also, and would love to hear a suggestion on how to achieve this.

I found this while doing a search of the archives

its old, havent tried it and it seemd a bit complicated since it sounds weird. but it was given by duncan. and if im not mistaken, it might be the same duncan from the area autodesk site, which means he knows what he is talking about since he created the fluid in maya.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-189074.html

YourDaftPunk
07-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Mel script- could you read and set the values of the voxels maybe? For example- read and store the density, velocity, temp, color, etc. for a target frame, then at then end of your animation have your script over a couple of frames ease those values back in. I have no idea if that is feasible, but it's just a thought- you cannot get it to simulate to the same exact state. You might get it close and paint a frame or two of transition in post, but that probably depends on the complexity of what you are doing.

Wick3dParticle
07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey everyone.

Great ideas, I am curious to know if any of them would work. Here is an idea for a cheat:

Render out a range of frames, and in comp duplicate the frames and reverse the order. Add the reversed frames to the end of the rendered frames...might work.

~Ilan

stork
07-29-2008, 01:14 AM
I actually did end up looping in post, BUT the ping pong loop (the time reverse and butt splice method) doesnt work because time reversing makes the flames "suck" back in or grow down if you will, so my solution (in post) was to split the flame clip in the middle shift the two new clips so the beginning and ending of the clip spliced in the middle of playback then added a third instance of the clip left at normal playback time. With some clever scaling and blending between the clips I got a clean loop (its kinda like the motion version of using the offset filter in PS) While it sufficed as a looping solution Id still have rather just been able to get the sim back to a previous state so I could have rendered a more seamless loop solution. I am checking that link now fedayi, thanks for the reference!

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

azshall
07-29-2008, 01:27 AM
I actually did end up looping in post, BUT the ping pong loop (the time reverse and butt splice method) doesnt work because time reversing makes the flames "suck" back in or grow down if you will, so my solution (in post) was to split the flame clip in the middle shift the two new clips so the beginning and ending of the clip spliced in the middle of playback then added a third instance of the clip left at normal playback time. With some clever scaling and blending between the clips I got a clean loop (its kinda like the motion version of using the offset filter in PS) While it sufficed as a looping solution Id still have rather just been able to get the sim back to a previous state so I could have rendered a more seamless loop solution. I am checking that link now fedayi, thanks for the reference!

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

You may try caching the fluid and then on the fluidShape breaking the cache connection to 'time' and keyframing it. You may be able to get some decent results from that. Not sure if you can get a perfect loop but if you look at the frame relationship and randomness you might be able to get something that appears to loop..

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2008, 01:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.