PDA

View Full Version : Particles into groups to edit?

DAZZAN
07-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi

If i create a poly object such as a star.

It is filled with particles.

the object is deleted leaveing said particles.

I wish to make the particles into individual particles.

So then i can select one of the stars points grab those particle in the area and make a group.

then do the same to the other pints leaving a small area in the middle(this does not matter)

so if it was a five pointed star, i would now have five groups of particles that could be edited in anyway i saw fit.

if so can i increase or decrease the particles numbers as well?

this is for makeing mesh areas such as a particle filled hand,the large chunkey part is ok,but the fingers would be lightly filled,so i want more control exactly where i want it.

The problems of a whole hand(example),is lumpyness,not enough particles here,more needed here.

i need the above control.

many thanks

daz

PsychoSilence
07-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Hy daz,
it would be nice to have a screenshot to judge your issue :)

did you concider to spawn particles on teh hand by a texture map? you could have a grayscale map in another slot of a multi/sub material and use this mat as distribution (check attachment).

If you wanna even more specific WHERE to put particles i can highly recommend the particle flow toolbox#1 with itīs ability to actually PAINT particles:

http://orbaz.com/products/particleflow/box1/painting

and

attachment2

kind regards,
anselm

DAZZAN
07-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

No i dont have a screenshot,sorry im thinking this problem through in my head.

Imagine a human torso full of particles. enought to make the shape.

Of course you can make sand men,water men,but as soon as you try to make clouds your playing with balls.

Lots of them,balls make the clouds,but your halfman is looking like the staypuff mashmallow man,out of ghostbusters,instead of a nasty cloud demon.

Of couse placeing the spheres is the key and size,so they look like human parts,but variation calculation of a whole mass is just not gona be good enough,its going to need total control over particles.

So the eachbody part particle is taken into its own group and increased and decreased,and then rendered as a whole so it does not look disjointed,control of sphere size i think is the key to this,and i wondered if max could release the whole particles as individuals to be put into groups so then it can be tested to get the look im after.

i have the torso particles,now i want to break apart/edit and rebuild the look to my whim.

oh yes, i need it to have NO animated particles,so frozen,they dont move at all,just want the look first ,to build from the ground up,so a still cloud sculpture,in the form of a half human torso.

If i get to that point i should know where im going.

i appriciate the painting part,but i have the particles ,inside the shape i want.

now i want to refine.make some smaller in the areas i want,some larger.

many thanks PsychoSilence,hope i come across more clearer but not demented?

oh yes can the toolbox paint size,that would help,but deleting some of the particles as well in areas its to dense, i dont know.

this is a combined problem as if rendered with afterburn and i take down the particle size,i start to loose details in places i dont want to loose it.thats why i ask about the particle groups.

daz

if you want me to post a pic mr staypuff i will.I just did not people to go all nostalgic and like it as im after mr cool demon.

Hy daz,
it would be nice to have a screenshot to judge your issue :)

did you concider to spawn particles on teh hand by a texture map? you could have a grayscale map in another slot of a multi/sub material and use this mat as distribution (check attachment).

If you wanna even more specific WHERE to put particles i can highly recommend the particle flow toolbox#1 with itīs ability to actually PAINT particles:

http://orbaz.com/products/particleflow/box1/painting

and

attachment2

kind regards,
anselm

PsychoSilence
07-25-2008, 12:13 AM
particle flow toolbox3 would easily deal with that issue by allowing you to scale by grayscale values...maybe u should concider a purchase :)

DAZZAN
07-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Pity it cant be achieved inside the app,without toolboxes.

ill have a look to see if its anygood.

daz

PsychoSilence
07-25-2008, 02:32 PM
well, it can be done but that involved scripting then :)

i'm sure a scripter could hook you up with a script you'd just have to drop in a script operator in the right place in your flow. haven't seen a screenshot of what you're up to so hard to tell really!

anselm

slebed
07-25-2008, 10:51 PM
You might want to look at this thread, especially if your on subscription!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=656994

DAZZAN
07-26-2008, 04:13 PM
You might want to look at this thread, especially if your on subscription!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=656994

Hey thanks,made me smile loads,it might be the key.

thanks again

daz

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2008, 04:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.