PDA

View Full Version : Inventor and Suit of Armour-WIP

Crigler
07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I am a student at the Art Institute of Vancouver and this is the second post that i've done here so far. This is a concept line drawing of an iron suit and his inventor done in a steampunk style. This is a WIP any comments and critiques are welcome, more images to follow.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/152/conceptlinedrawing2ie1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

CybrGfx
07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
All the squiggles on the suit make it hard to "read." They don't add to the metal feel, or aging, or anything. They just make the linework too busy-looking.

The arms seem to be off in length from each other, and the feet look a bit too contrived for my taste, but otherwise, it's a decent enough linework.

~C

Crigler
07-25-2008, 11:38 PM
thank you for the advice, i agree the lines i put on the suit don't really add anything and if anything they detract from the overall image. I probably could have done without distorting the proportions too much on the legs as well. I also realize that i've screwed up the perspective on the robot's right foot, something that I should have noticed before.

emguiry
07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey there fellow AI student!
Am I right in assuming this was for Jesse's class? Anyways, I can tell that you thought out the design to make the suit look like it could actually function. I'm a big fan of the cables.
You have a couple issues with perspective, but I see that you noticed the issue with the robot's right foot so I won't go into that. Just look out for the perspective on the things like cogs (which can be difficult to get right). Remember that almost everything has depth of some sort, all the way down to the screws and bolts on the shoes. Same with the pieces of the actual armor, I would give the edges a bit of perspective depth so that they look like they have thickness of some sort.

As for the inventor climbing up the armor, I would take away some of the wrinkles and folds you put in his clothes. Less is more in this case, and having too many folds can be distracting and hard to read (the same goes for the scratches on the armor, but that's been mentioned already).

Overall, I think you have a really solid design, it just needs to be refined in some areas.

KillaRilla
07-26-2008, 11:15 PM
like the thought processing that obviously went into this, gears are a bitch to draw in perspective sometime, but you did ok, it could use a change in texturing method as mentioned above, the wood support looks good, the mechanical suit's stance could be adjusted, and yeah i think just detailing the suit differently, including adding some coils to the multiple wires would add great effect and overall i like the concept. nice work

Crigler
07-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the help guys, next time i'm going to definitely put more consideration into silhouette and perspective and line quality. I'll keep in mind that there is such a thing as too much in reference to texture and the folds in the clothes as well.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2008, 12:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.