PDA

View Full Version : Nayru, Nicole Cijs (2D)

Darthiir
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/157265/157265_1216890717_medium.jpg

Title: Nayru
Name: Nicole Cijs
Software:

Finished this piece a few days ago.

I just love dragons and wanted to try drawing one myself. There isn´t any story behind it for it was just fun to try.

I´ve been working on it for a couple of months now (on and off). The hands were the hardest parts to make and I´ve used a lot of photo´s of my own hands as a reference (mirrors will only get you so far... and most of the time wrong angle).

Comments are as always very welcome...

*wave*

Nicole

walrus
07-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Nice work. Good layout and pose, and the muted colors are interesting also. The amount of polish throughout the piece seems inconsistent: Her face and skin are really tight, her cloth a little less so, and then the dragon in the foreground much less so still. I think the piece would hang together better if the dragon were just as tight as the woman. I know it's harder to do, because getting the photographs to work from is a real pain :) but it would help make the characters work together better. Good luck!

Naliorf
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Looks Pretty good. If I could just give you a constructive critique... it would be to have sharper image, it looks too blurry a bit and needs a little bit more contrast. I don't know if you wanted to have a monochromatic-esque type of color scheme but I think some addition or saturation would help your image.

On the other hand, good proportions on the girl and nice details on her clothes. Keep submitting work. :thumbsup:

Darthiir
07-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi Michael and Froilan: Pffeww! I'm so glad that you two didn't ask me something horrible and difficult to look at ;)

Seriously... after your comments I've looked at the piece again and I must say that I see what both of you mean and I think that the solution is interlinked. I'm very happy that you pointed this out to me. Sometimes I'm so focused on all the different pieces that I forget to look at the overall picture...

I'm currently working on a different piece and will take your comments with me for that one. As for this piece. I think I will work on it a bit more ... but that will happen somewhere in the future though. I was so happy that it was finished that I don't wanna think on starting on it again soon...

That being said ... I don't think I want artpieces that are completaly crisp on a whole for I like art where the foreground is crisp and the background is a little more blurry (like in Melanie Delon and Diane Ozdamar's work). But ... (and this is a big but) ... I think I have to pay attention to the order of crisp and blurry area's (close crisp, further away or to the outside blur)... but in my case there wasn't a logical order...

Again ...

Thank you for the comments ... they are a great help to me :)

*wave*

Nicole

Zenr
07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Nicole,

Even thought I agree in part with whats been pointed out - more colour to the dragon etc - I still think you have this image sitting together brilliantly! it would be interesting to see an enhanced version though. Really well done!!

Patrick.

I thinks it's worth the stars i gave it.:D

Darthiir
07-25-2008, 08:04 AM
*blush* ...

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2008, 08:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.