PDA

View Full Version : Advice for first timers

no-l
07-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey, i'll be new this year and i was wondering if all of ya'll that have attended before have any advice? Things you wish you would have known or should have brought with you? What is the weather like? (i know its LA but is the confrence center airconditioned?) What about food? Bringing computers or other electronics? Anything else?

Hope to hear some good advice

malducin
07-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey, i'll be new this year and i was wondering if all of ya'll that have attended before have any advice? Things you wish you would have known or should have brought with you? What is the weather like? (i know its LA but is the confrence center airconditioned?) What about food? Bringing computers or other electronics? Anything else?

Here's some:

dress casual: jeans, tshirts and sneakers are fine (boy I wish I knew that my first time). Sneakers are the most important, lots of walking.
weather: usually very hot outside in downtown LA though the nights are cool. The convention center is air conditioned. Actually some rooms might be a bit cold, while small crowded rooms might get a bit hot (even with AC). In general it's comfortable though if you're sensitive to cold use long leave shirts or tie a light jacket around your waist.
Electronics: the convention center has wireless access so lots of people carry their laptops around. It's a matter of if you care lugging that extra weigh around.
Food: a bit expensive at the convention center, although if pressed for time it's cnvenient. The food court gets crowded. There are also smaller food spots inside like at the back of the exhibition floor. There are better places to it outside but you'll have to walk. What I usually do is buy snack or cereal bars to eat at lunch time (which is when I usually go to the CAF but we'll see this year), that way I save a lot for lunch and get a good dinner. The hotel I'm staying has breakfast buffet so I usually stuff myself so I don't get that hungry ;-).
Other stuff depends if you're looking for a job: bring enough reels/porfolios/resumes. Also bringing a laptop or small portable DVD player/screen is ideal toshow your work. Bring enough business cards.
Check the online schedule at least to get an idea what you might want to attend.

Other advice depends on what registration category you got, your general plans, when you arrive, etc.

no-l
07-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Might as well mention I'll be a Student Volunteer also.

Titus
07-24-2008, 04:07 AM

Hope to hear some good advice

SIGGRAPH is a huge event, there's no way you can do or watch everything. When returning home back from my first SIG (97) I felt like wasted my time and did nothing, that was not true. When you're there go to the "pathfinders" and gather all the information you can have, try to plan all your days according to interests and pick alternatives.

IG-64
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm going for the first time as a learning experience. I'm not really actively looking for a job, but I want to know where I stand, and what I should do to prepare before looking for a job I want. I'm still getting my associates degree, so I want to know what I should do school-wise that would help me. I don't really have my own laptop, or a portable DVD player, so I don't know how I'm going to bring my work. I thought about prints but I don't know. I'm pretty much going into this flying blind. :p

ElectricSheep
07-24-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't really have my own laptop, or a portable DVD player, so I don't know how I'm going to bring my work. I thought about prints but I don't know. I'm pretty much going into this flying blind. :p

The easiest way for you would probably be to set up a website with your work on it and then put the address on your business card. Or show it to people on a computer this way :)

SynapticGraphics
07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Surely you have an ipod.. better then nothing

pworks
07-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I have question regarding showreels, is it better to have DVDs with a showreel on it, or is it enough to have a website with all your seperate movies on it? Or should there be a showreel on the site? Right now I only have the stuff on my site, but no showreel.

malducin
07-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm going for the first time as a learning experience. I'm not really actively looking for a job, but I want to know where I stand, and what I should do to prepare before looking for a job I want. I'm still getting my associates degree, so I want to know what I should do school-wise that would help me. I don't really have my own laptop, or a portable DVD player, so I don't know how I'm going to bring my work. I thought about prints but I don't know. I'm pretty much going into this flying blind. :p

Well even if you'r not looking for a job you can talk to recruiters, especially the exhibition floor and the job fair. At least you can ask them what they're looking for, what to study, etc. There are a few sessions that also concentrate on that: one course on getting a job, a panel on demo reels.

I have question regarding showreels, is it better to have DVDs with a showreel on it, or is it enough to have a website with all your seperate movies on it? Or should there be a showreel on the site? Right now I only have the stuff on my site, but no showreel.

For lloking for a job at SIGGRAPH, yah reels (DVD or tape) are better because employers usuually cart them away and watch them so as to see if an interview might be requested. Although if you're handing out your resume, that should have a link to your online reel/portfolio, so you might as well have it as well.

krogg9
07-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi,

I am trying to connect with as many people as possible in this field, and am looking for a full time job. I have a demo reel that I am planning on handing out. Now, is it appropriate to have a .mov file of my demo reel on a cd (which is what I planned)? Or does it need to be an actual dvd?

Also, is it sufficient to have a demo reel and hand that out? I've heard people mention handing out resumes? Is there any point in handing out business cards along with a demo reel, and/or resumes as well? Thanks for any insight.

ElectricSheep
07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't know about others, but Pixar explicitly state "Please leave those pesky demo reels at home":

http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/sig08.html

RobertoOrtiz
07-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Some tips that have worked like a charm in the past:

Post your reel Online: You tube will do just fine. And post in online galleries like ours.
Do your Homework:
Go to the SIGGRAPH 2008 site and check the names of the companies that will be attending the conference. When yo uhave a good list and go to their websites and check for their job openings. Read the job descriptions and tailor your resume accordingly.
SIGGRAPH IS NOT American Idol (it is more like Survivor):
Send your resume( with a link to your online portfolio), to the companies BEFORE the conference. If you wait until SIGGRAPH it will be too late. And dont forget to put on your resume that you will be available for interview AT THE CONFERENCE.

krogg9
07-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, ElectricSheep and Roberto. I've checked out the list at creativeheads.net, that says which companies are hiring and attending siggraph. I've applied to a few of them, and I've got my demo reel uploaded to my website. I was planning on going booth to booth and give each one my reel and talk with them, as well. Do you think that this is the wrong approach? My thinking was to hand out as many reels as possible.

So the emphasis should be more on sending them my resume beforehand, and let them know I'll be at siggraph. What I can do is send each company on creativeheads my resume, and make sure to note that I'll be at siggraph to be able to interview.

As for the physical demo reels, do you think a cd with a .mov file, .pdfs of my resume and demo breakdown, is appropriate?

malducin
07-29-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't know about others, but Pixar explicitly state "Please leave those pesky demo reels at home":

Yeah but most companies will probably accept reels. Pixar might be the exception to the rule.

As for the physical demo reels, do you think a cd with a .mov file, .pdfs of my resume and demo breakdown, is appropriate?

Yes but make your CD/DVD playable. For CDs make it a VCD. For DVDs make it a playable DVD with no menu at the beginning. That way they can just put it in and start watching. If it's too much hassle to watch your reel they might as well take it out and put in the next one.

So the emphasis should be more on sending them my resume beforehand, and let them know I'll be at siggraph. What I can do is send each company on creativeheads my resume, and make sure to note that I'll be at siggraph to be able to interview.

There are companies that accept reels beforehand, usually the big one. They state so on their websites, so be sure to check.

I've checked out the list at creativeheads.net, that says which companies are hiring and attending siggraph. I've applied to a few of them, and I've got my demo reel uploaded to my website. I was planning on going booth to booth and give each one my reel and talk with them, as well. Do you think that this is the wrong approach? My thinking was to hand out as many reels as possible.

I think CreativeHeads.net mainly focuses on just the SIGGRAPH job fair (after all there's some sort of agreement there to setup that). There are other hiring opportunities, like the Exhibition Floor and the user group meetings, so take that into account.

As far as going t the different booths and talking to people and handing out reels, that's perfectly fine. Heck you get the opportunity to talk to people in charge of hiring so you can probably ask away and get some useful info. If they'renot hiring or acceoting reels, they'll tell you and you can move to the next booth.

krogg9
07-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the reply malducin. That helps a lot.

Hitchcock
07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
I will be attending also, and this will be my first time goin. My question is similar but feel it may have not been discussed enough through out this topic. My question is this, I am still a student, graduating in March 2009, would you suggest on attending the job fair, and what would you suggest bringing, to associate myself to the recruiters, as I will not have a fully functional reel availible for them? I am trying hard as possible to finish off a Rig to show there, as well as website and business cards. Anything else you would suggest bringing?

Philip-M
07-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I would just like to add these are some of the same questions that I had too. Thank you for the replys on this thread.

Brettskie
07-30-2008, 01:10 AM
This will also be my first time at Siggraph and I was wondering what is a good way to hand out your demo reel / resume to the companies? I have a DVD case with my demo reel would it be just fine if I give the companies a copy of my resume and the DVD? or put everything in a little sealed folder and give that to them? Any suggestions / feelback?

malducin
07-30-2008, 01:14 AM
My question is this, I am still a student, graduating in March 2009, would you suggest on attending the job fair, and what would you suggest bringing, to associate myself to the recruiters, as I will not have a fully functional reel availible for them? I am trying hard as possible to finish off a Rig to show there, as well as website and business cards. Anything else you would suggest bringing?

Yes by all means attend the job fair. Even if you're not applying for a job you can gather useful information: what position companies have open, which might open, what are their requirements for application, pickup brochures, etc. If you get a WIP reel, in some cases you might be able to show it and get feedback on it, though don't try to be pushy.

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2008, 01:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.