PDA

View Full Version : basic shader tips ??

Tranimatronic
07-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi - Im having trouble keeping a handle on the glossiness/specularity on a skin surface I have applied a fullshading matereal with a basic shader driving the radiance. (Messiah 3) The specularity and glossiness are set to zero. The weird thing is that when I apply a normal map to the normal input everything goes ultra glossy. If I apply the normal map to the bump channel the shader behaves more like id imagined, however the displacement is nowhere near what it should be, adding a minMax makes no difference, and flipping the z with a normal node makes no difference either.

Does anyone have any tips on using a normal map with basic shader ?
Are normal maps meant to be plugged into the normal input ? If not couldnt you guys have named it something else ?
What settings in the basic shader have an effect on the glossiness and specular ?
I know the basic shader is designed to imitate skin 'sheen' but the results I am getting are more of polished chrome.
Am I better off ditching the normal map all together and going for a displacement map instead ?

Thanks for any pointers !

Wegg
07-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Fori worked a lot on the quality of using the built in translucency vs. the "basic" shader. I'd suggest trying that out.

Tranimatronic
07-24-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the tip - An almost instant "make it better" fix !!

I still have a couple of questions though.
Do normal maps in the bump channel need a minMax node like displacement maps do ?
Does the Z in the normal map still need to be reversed in Messiah 3 ?

Thanks again ;)

Wegg
07-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Images have had min and max built into them now for quite a while. No need to muddle up your nodes with more stuff. I have no idea about Normal vs. Displace. . . Its probably something you should test yourself and let us know what you come up with. Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2008, 05:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.