PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Larry_g1s
05-28-2003, 10:59 PM
I hadn't seen this posted her yet, and thought I'd share some new screen shots of this up coming new Final Fantasy game for the GameCube. Here is the offical site : http://www.square-enix.co.jp/games/gc/ffcc/ ( it's mostly in JPN's :shrug: , but is still pretty cool )

But here are some shots (if the images are to large, someone just PM me)

http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/f/ffcc_gcn_ss3.jpg

http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/f/ffcc_gcn_ss11.jpg

http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/f/ffcc_gcn_ss1.jpg

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/nintendoconf_051403_041.jpg

It's got a cool feature where you can play the game solo, or with other people (like Secret of Mana).

What do you guys think. :thumbsup:

Per-Anders
05-28-2003, 11:49 PM
looks very nice... but square still don't seem to be able to find the balance that was in 7 of a more adult anime look, everything they've done since has either been childish cute like this (i guess harking back to the 2d days), or aiming for overt realism... and graphically neither style has really caught my eye as something different from the rest of the fantasy rpg's out there :/

looks like realtime shadows in there in some shots... would be nice.

erilaz
05-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie
looks very nice... but square still don't seem to be able to find the balance that was in 7 of a more adult anime look, everything they've done since has either been childish cute like this (i guess harking back to the 2d days), or aiming for overt realism... and graphically neither style has really caught my eye as something different from the rest of the fantasy rpg's out there :/

Are you kidding me?:surprised
What about final fantasy 8, 10, 10-2, 11...? all of those have a adult look to them.

Personally, I prefer the "kiddie" look. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is supposed to be kicking back to the good old Secret of Mana days, and I am glad.

Per-Anders
05-28-2003, 11:59 PM
no, those had the "overtly realistic" look i was talking about, not adult anime. they tried to look too real... and they failed. and then they failed to capture the interest or be any different from any other rpg :/

erilaz
05-29-2003, 12:10 AM
Right! Cool. Misunderstood. You're right there. FF7 had a very good feel to it. FF8 felt very plasticky.

But FF9 was great. It may just be the retro-pull in me, but it felt good to get back to similar roots like FF4 and 5. Go Vivi!:D
Secret of Mana is still my all-time favourite game. That's why I'm so happy about this Gamecube release. I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

Larry_g1s
05-29-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by erilaz
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is supposed to be kicking back to the good old Secret of Mana days, and I am glad.

And that is exactly why I'm so freakin' pumped for this game. It's looks straight up fantasy. And Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite games. :thumbsup:

Acid Lord
05-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Ohh it does remind me of Mana. Only thing I dislike is portraying a kid saving the world. ANyhoot still looks fun

secretasianman
05-29-2003, 07:58 AM
i hope it is like secret of mana.

i have been haveing this mana kick and it would be nice to see a game more of like it.

i wonder is they are going to make more ff games for the nintendo sys?

i just hope it isn't like the newer ff games where there is not much to do but alot of cutscenes.

the ff on ps semed liked no matter what you do you can always go forward and not back. like you have no real control except to go stright through the game.

the earlier ones you had to think more and had more things to look for and trickier areas.

deepinspace
05-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Yaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
Square is back where it belongs, the Nintendo platform!:applause:

erilaz
05-29-2003, 01:07 PM
For those who want MORE secret of mana goodness, here's a few shots and art from the rehashed sword of mana for the GBA:
http://www.gameforms.com/games/gba/somana/media/

I'm hoping they'll rerelease Secret of Mana 2 for english release now that GBA is kicking off so well.:D

Larry_g1s
05-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by secretasianman
i just hope it isn't like the newer ff games where there is not much to do but alot of cutscenes.

From what I've heard, this FF isn't going to heavily use much FMV. Not to say there isn't going to be any cut scenes, but it sounds like for this one they are going to concentrate more on gameplay to further the story. Just what I've heard.

ambient-whisper
05-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by erilaz
For those who want MORE secret of mana goodness, here's a few shots and art from the rehashed sword of mana for the GBA:
http://www.gameforms.com/games/gba/somana/media/

I'm hoping they'll rerelease Secret of Mana 2 for english release now that GBA is kicking off so well.:D

you mean secret of mana 3. ? part 2 was secret of mana 1 in the US. and part 1 of secret of mana was on gameboy under a final fantasy title. ( i think it was part 1 of the game boy series. )

erilaz
05-29-2003, 10:10 PM
Well, yes, that's what I meant, obviously.:rolleyes:

Seiken Densetsu 2 = Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3 = Secret of Mana 2

And what about that apparent failure Legend of Mana? Has anyone played that? I wanted to know if it was any good.
:)

WChestnutt
05-30-2003, 08:24 PM
imho, ff 7 was the best of all, i went back to that many times.
all the other final fantasy's up till now have lacked that little something that made 7 so special, i hope this one will be different, it looks quite interesting at the moment....

Will

ambient-whisper
05-30-2003, 08:33 PM
heh funny. 6 is the one i keep going back to :d

Hookflash
05-30-2003, 09:39 PM
FF VII was epic. I was thoroughly addicted to that game for many, many hours;). Chrono Trigger & Morrowind are probably my 2nd & 3rd favourite RPGs. Can't wait for Crystal Chronicles...

erilaz
05-31-2003, 02:59 AM
I think in order, my preference would be:

1) Secret 0f Mana
2) FF7
3) FF6
4) Chrono Trigger

Secret of Mana made you want to play it again just to see certain things and experience it.
It was also fun to rack up an 8:99 level on your weapons and magic before the last battle then whoop that lich's butt! :D

klingspor
06-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Not really sure what to think of this yet... as a GameCube owner, sure I'm happy to see Final Fantasy coming back to its origins (Nintendo)! Having played the other parts on my ancient NES, I'm glad to get another chance to play the series!

But I absolutely loved the style of Final Fantasy X, and even though I never actually played that part, I think the FMVs have become an integral part of the series. Hard to imagine what it will be like without them...
Generally I have a feeling that this game will play a lot like the Zeldas for the N64. Those screenshots sure look a lot like it anyway :thumbsup:

pomme
06-01-2003, 09:28 PM
the game wasn't even made by Square, although they supervised it, it's actually subcontracted to a younger studio. The reason for the delay is because the battle system wasn't up to Square's standards, so they had them work on it some more. Anyways this isn't a real FF game.

Hookflash
06-01-2003, 09:57 PM
So, which console has Square been developing for over the past few years? I haven't played anything past FF7.

PhilOsirus
06-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Mainly the PS2, only now they are starting to make some games for the GameBoy Advance, and FFCC is their firts Nintendo GameCube game. Love the artsyle, very FFIX.

Larry_g1s
06-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by pomme
the game wasn't even made by Square, although they supervised it, it's actually subcontracted to a younger studio. The reason for the delay is because the battle system wasn't up to Square's standards, so they had them work on it some more. Anyways this isn't a real FF game.

Sorry pomme, but that's not fully correct. It's is a sub branch (from what I've read), though it is still Square-Enix. But it is not a younger studio as in inexperienced devs., it is still made up of veteran Final Fantasy & Square developers. :thumbsup:

pomme
06-02-2003, 08:07 PM
The studio in question is called Game Designer Studio.

Check out the link:

http://www.square-evolution.com/news/000007.php

"it is more of an Action RPG genre, like Secret of Mana / Seiken Densetsu style, which is not surprising, since Akitoshi Kawazu, who Previously worked on Legend of Mana and many other greats, is Head director for Game Designer Studio"

So I'll restate what I said, this is not really Final Fantasy. They should remove the "final fantasy" from the title and just call it Crystal Chronicles. Oh wait, they won't sell as many games that way.

PhilOsirus
06-02-2003, 08:54 PM
How is it not Final Fantasy? It isn't called Crystal Chronicles for nothing, it's about the crystals (wind, water, fire, earthetc) losing their power, like in the old FFs.

pomme
06-03-2003, 08:27 AM
FF isn't just about crystals, it's about how it plays, this won't play like an ff game. It will feel totally different.

Larry_g1s
06-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by pomme
FF isn't just about crystals, it's about how it plays, this won't play like an ff game. It will feel totally different.

And Final Fantasy X doesn't? And neither do Final Fantasy Tactics? :p Come on Pomme.

This is a Final Fantasy game, and it's going to be on the GameCube...it's okay.

Jonathan
06-03-2003, 10:07 AM
I love the final fantasy games but the battle systems and random spawning is exactly what I hate. Don't get me wrong, I do get into them. Loved 7 & 8. and I really liked 10, however when it comes to overall adventuring, give me Baldur's Gate type of battle system, real-time all out fighting. Like an RTS game when I have to quickly micro manage like in warcraft III. Such is why I'm holding out for World of Warcraft and Blizzard has never made a crappy game IMO.

pomme
06-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Anyways I hope it's good. I hope there will be some puzzle solving, like zelda, or maybe like the Sierra/Lucasarts quest games, if it's going to be different might aswell add a few IQ points. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Larry_g1s
06-05-2003, 06:49 PM
I think the reason why I'm looking so much forward to this game is because of it being an action-RPG. Secret of Mana was one of my favorite games, for that very reason. So I to am "crossing my fingers".

Another cool action RPG coming to the GameCube is one from Namco called Tales of Symphonia. Just FYI.

ambient-whisper
06-05-2003, 06:55 PM
is that related to tales of phantasia? on Snes?

Larry_g1s
06-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
is that related to tales of phantasia? on Snes?

You know, I'm entirely sure. I think that was the name it was at 1st then they changed it. I think I could find out for sure. If I do I'll post it here. :thumbsup:

Edit: Yeah, I just checked out a gaming site to confirm (IGN.com / Cube.ign.com) and sure enough that was the name it was at first. Was the Snes one good?

ambient-whisper
06-05-2003, 11:34 PM
yeah :) think of what you get if you mix and match FF+secret of mana+street fighter :D ahha.

its really neat. great graphics at the time. music was pretty good for the game as well. i dont really remember the story tho :/ been a long time. but yeah enjoyable :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.