PDA

View Full Version : How to make renderings for printing

stelhar_1999
05-28-2003, 10:50 PM
I want to render a scene (using Mental Ray) but I want to print this with a high resolution. How can I render an image which I could use for printing?
Somewhere I read about "Tile" rendering but how is this done and does it apply to Mental Ray?
Thanks!!!

Zappa
05-29-2003, 02:11 AM
HeY!stelhar_1999,

This is something that i have been trying to do with no luck.
However searching the forums, i discovered theres somethin called "eggslice" that lets you edit your render in parts or so...i havent used this...so i have no idea how it works.....theres a free trial download on their site....you may want to that check out.

http://www.shimmyo.com/downloads/EggsliceTrial/

Lemme know if it works for you.

Cheers

galactor
05-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Do you mean that the image is to large to be printed on one sheet. And that you have to find a way to be able to print one image on multiple sheets. If so, i think it should be done postproduction. Like in photoshop that is made for these kind of tasks.

:: Galactor ::

stelhar_1999
05-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Forgive me for my poor english (its not my native language!) Let my explain again using photoshop terms!
Every rendering I make is let's say 640x480 with 72 pixels/inch
what I want to render is 640x480 with 300pixels/inch so that i can use this rendering for a printing!
How can I achieve this in MAYA?
And another guestion whats the limit for rendering dimentions in MAYA? Can I use a 3000x3000?
Thanks!

galactor
05-29-2003, 11:36 AM
First of al the resolution is mostly limited by your hardware.

Second is that when dealing with printing, you cannot talk in dimensions of pixels only anymore.

If you want to print at a resolution of 300 DPI, you will end up with 300 pixels for every inch that will be printed (in each direction) . So if your print should be 10 x 10 Inch, you have to render at a resolution of 3000 x 3000.

:: Galactor ::

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.