PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph 2008

tomglod
07-23-2008, 05:39 AM
Hey, is anybody going to it this year?

Also I want to ask..... is it really worth going a few thousands miles to attend it?
I would like to go, but I am just not sure if I will see anything that I cannot find on the net.
Do they showacse future technology that lets say is not going to be ready for a few years?

few more weeks and we may just have R11! Tick tick tick!

Peace,

Tom

ilay
07-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Hello Tom
i can't see too - http://www.siggraph.org/cgi-bin/s2008/ice-search
only 'maxon' had one result

Srek
07-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Siggraph always has a section called emerging technologies, which is always worth a look at. Even if you don't see much new (which i doubt) the event itself and meeting new people is worth it.
Cheers
Björn

ThePriest
07-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Beats hanging out with my wife.

I'll be attending this year, there's some emerging technologies that I want to get a close look at and perhaps talk with some of the developers.

LucentDreams
07-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Maxon hasn't posted an official thread on the forums yet but in the newsletter they mentioned this

http://www.maxoncomputer.com/siggraph2008/worldgroup/ there will be a chance to see the product manager a few developers etc there, some cool tips and tricks, and I'm still not sure what I can say about the system but maxon's booth is going to have one super fast computer that has a benchmark score way beyond what people would imagine much more than what you see here http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/cinebench/top.php

In terms of the rest of the show, this year the electronic and animation theaters are expanding to be a full festival, and the gallery and Emerging technologies area really cool. Emerging technologies is my favorite, and its crazy to see how many rough things we've seen there that are now mainstream or quickly growing in popularity.

So the show is cool on its own, getting a chance to meet some of the maxon people at the booth and then this worldwide user group, that's pretty cool imo. Who knows what kind of users you could network with too at such an event.

and if thats not enough reason, I'll be there :D

ilay
07-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks for answers!
i can't to be there, but friends from Moscow will be, and i ask to shot(or record video too if they can) some presentations. So i will too, "remotely" :)

3DKiwi
07-23-2008, 07:20 AM
For those not going, C4D Cafe will be sending a reporter along to take photos and bring you the news and happenings from Maxon's booth. We should have photos on-line within a few hours of being taken.

3DKiwi

Hilt
07-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Hmm.. Always wanted to ask from foreigneirs who went to Siggraph:
How much did the trip cost you? Flights+hotels must be some 2000-2500€? Plus minimum amount of drinks and food another 2000€? :)

Always wanted to go but I've always been scared to know the budget needed :P

otomo
07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Plus minimum amount of drinks and food another 2000€? :)

For 4 days? Is that the living costs you are used to in Finland? Or do you wanna bribe someone?

okfir
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi,
I just signed for the worldgroup, hope to see much more cinema4d user than what I am used to.

lllab
07-23-2008, 03:01 PM
i will be there, at the chaosgroup booth, and hopefully also a bit at the maxon booth.

also Renato and Daniele, so if you want to meet the whole vray development team, we will be happy to see many users there:-)

cheers
stefan

Jannis
07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
and I'm still not sure what I can say about the system but maxon's booth is going to have one super fast computer that has a benchmark score way beyond what people would imagine much more than what you see here

Can't resist playing detective....

Now...

Superfast machine... Maybe superhuge particle simulations.... Maybe thinking particles, mograph, stormtracer and pyro have an given birth to a child... Maybe it is not called ICE but .... MICE!!! Yes, thats it! MICE, and it can generate milions of mice and rats and all kinds or rodents. Micky mouse your days are numbered

danb
07-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Now...

Superfast machine... Maybe superhuge particle simulations.... Maybe thinking particles, mograph, stormtracer and pyro have an given birth to a child... Maybe it is not called ICE but .... MICE!!! Yes, thats it! MICE, and it can generate milions of mice and rats and all kinds or rodents. Micky mouse your days are numbered

That's some pretty sharp detective work, there! :)

JoelOtron
07-23-2008, 07:24 PM

Now...

Superfast machine... Maybe superhuge particle simulations....

If this is true--Id think Maxon would find a way to do this kind of thing faster better and more streamlined than usual--so a supercomuter wouldnt be neccasasry at all. Maybe the supercomputer is there to compare and contrast how much better the maxon solution is to the old fashioned way. :)

Per-Anders
07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
The bacon module required it for it's "Full English" component.

imashination
07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
OMG!

http://www.3dfluff.com/files/monkeybacon11.jpg

jkirk01
07-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I wonder if it's time to start frequenting Maxon's site in search of mysterious hats or other objects of interest. Humm, I'm going to have to start rehersing Hubby's Justification just in case. Eleven times aught to do it. ;)

JoelOtron
07-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Monkey bacon. It goes to 11.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2008, 12:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.