PDA

View Full Version : Blend constraint attribute 1 by default?

PacManiac
07-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Hiya, is there a way to make the blend attribute from the constraints, that gets created once you start keying your controller, 1 by default?

It's a bit annoying now as you have to group something below whatever it is you want constrained, and make that get constrained instead of your actual controller.

If there's a way to make that blend attribute not show up at all that'd be good as well although I'd be surprised.. who at autodesk would ever think a TD would want attributes created on the fly, *after* rigging was done? Oh well.. hope I've missed something.. just written this one off as one of those things but after going back to riggin after a break I thought I'd check again. :)

Cheers!

RhettAllen
08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I suppose I can't figure out what you are talking about. I don't have maya on this machine so I can't take a look.

You can go into edit attributes and set default values. If it's a part of a node you could see about changing it with some API.

What do you mean by hiding it?

Why do you want the default to be different?

PacManiac
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Ok, probably wasn't too clear - try creating 2 locators. Point constrain one to the other, move the unconstrained locator around so you'll see what happens.

Now set a key on the constrained locator. Magically an attribute called blend point 1 appears, and it's default is set to 0.. which means it's no longer constrained. Maybe that should be the case as if you key it, it likely means you'd want to move it and therefore the point constrain should get switched off. You'd have to key translation/rotation/scale seperately though for this not to happen, which is quite slow, and you'd very easily just press 's' and -pop- the object is unconstrained again.

But the most annoying thing is this attribute just goes away when the keys gets removed so you can't really use it in your rigging..

Maybe it's not a big deal, you'd just group your things so you keying won't screw up the constraints.. I personally think the idea of it is good, but for these reasons I can't use it 95% of the time.

RhettAllen
08-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I have no clue what you're trying to do.

Why would you key translates if you already have an incoming connection to it for the point constraint?

PacManiac
08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
It's when you're keying stuff with 's' and maybe you're only rotating an object, since a point constraint is there it'll get that blend popping on and also set to '0'. Yes, you could key it more carefully but it's nice to have keys on all channels on all controls on a certain frame and at a certain stage in your animation process. At the moment you can't just box select all controls and hit 's'. You could lock and hide things but then you wouldn't be able to use the blend at all. Not saying the blend isn't a good thing, just want to see if there's a way to actually get to use it as it's a bit wonky just now imho.

It's not good rigging process to constrain your actual controllers anyway, and this is one reason why I guess.

If this blend attribute didn't get turned on and off magically with the keys it could be used to pipe some rigging stuff into it but now I can't see how it can be done. I know it's blending to the point of your first set key which is why it's automatically popping on at that time, but that could have been done differently to better use I think.

Not a big deal, will keep on doing it the normal way.. :)

misterdi
08-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Maybe it would be nice, especially if you are preparing a scene for group works to hide attributes that you don't want to key. This will save a lot of headache later on.

For example if you intend to animate rotation only of an object, hide everything else such as translate, scale and visibility. Sometime I even lock it, so nobody by any chance can modify the attribute without un-locking it.

You could use channel control to do it.

Blending is needed for the pairblend node since there are two input connection, one from the constraint and other from the f-curve.

Hopefully at one point, Maya can expose certain attributes only from a system (many nodes) at a single point like a proxy attributes. This will help tidying up a rig without too much hassles.

Cheers,

RhettAllen
08-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Well without knowing exactly what you're using it for it's hard to say.

Earlier you said it would be nice if it didn't show up at all. But you don't want to lock it in case you want to use it? Which is it? Locking the translates will make it so the blend won't come up at all.

You could probably write a scriptJob for when an animator sets a key on it that it will change the blend point to 1.

Or if you just want to be able to move it around and doesn't matter about the blending, you can animate the constraint's offset.

or you can directly connect the translates. And if you want the blend and you know API just create your own node that connects the xyz but allows for a multiplier (aka blending)

I don't think there is a way to change it in maya because it's a dynamic attribute. It's only added when needed.

If it's something you really want to figure out, don't give up on it. It can be done although you never mentioned your mel/python/c++ background... all of those things combined allows you to stop putting up with maya and be in full control.

well good luck

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2008, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.