PDA

View Full Version : nConstraints Spring Vs Weld

Brocknoviatch
07-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Hi everyone.

This is a problem I have had for some time and would like to see what other people's thoughts are on the issue.

The Weld constraint is either on or off. It doesn't let you taper or blend into a simulation. ie. a painted value of 0.1 will turn the constraint on.

The Spring constraint allows you to paint different values of strength so you can have a tapered or blended effect between simulation and attracted mesh. The problem is that there isn't a value that basically welds the verts together without practically welding every other vert.

So What I am looking for is the ability to have a boundary that has welded verts and taper that effect off until I get to the sim. Not a harsh line between welded and sim.

I guess I could use two attract mesh constraints, one that deals with weld and one for spring.

Any thoughts on this, or ideas for workflows?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

john_homer
07-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi Brocknoviatch,

If I understand your question...
You can ease in to a weld effect by animating the restLengthScale down to 0 on a constraint using "spring" constraintMethod.

.j

Brocknoviatch
07-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I should clarify what I mean.
You have a circle.
At the centre of the circle the strength map is painted black so that the constraint is off and allows a full cloth sim.
There is a gradient to the edge of the circle which has a colour of white so that the strength is on fully.

With Spring this works pretty well, but the edge of the circle doesn't line up with the attract mesh perfectly. So I have to use another dynamic constraint, set to weld, just to do the edge. I thought there might be a better way to do this.

If I could paint the rest length that would solve everything. In fact I think you should be able to paint more attributes in ncloth.

Again thanks for your input.
Cheers,

B.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2008, 12:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.