PDA

View Full Version : how do you make random dirt and gravel

eagle300
04-24-2002, 09:26 AM
I've seen some renderings that look like some pebbles and dirt have been thrown onto the ground. for example, daniel lara (www.pepeland.com) did a picture that has a lot of "dirt." here's the link: http://www.3dluvr.com/pepeland/3D%20Gallery%20-%2003.htm

it's the one with the star wars robot and the clay guy. there's dirt and stuff on the table. how do ya make all that dirt and place it in random places? anyone know how to do this?
thanks
tj

frank
04-24-2002, 08:48 PM
I think the dirt on the table it's just a texture...

-F

JuRrAsStOiL
04-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by frank
I think the dirt on the table it's just a texture...

-F you're kidding...

:grin: franky is right, it's a texture, take a look at
the dvGarage Surface Toolkit, great thing, if you
don't like it, search for soem cool dirt brushes for
PS with google.

eagle300
04-25-2002, 12:03 AM
aaaah gentlemen, franky is wrong. yes, wrong. it IS in fact a whole bunch of meshes all over the place. download the video for this scene on daniel's webpage and he shows a wireframe with all the dirt. yes there's texture applied, but the dirt all over the place are meshes.

thanks for the pointers though. maybe someone has the secret.
tj

Theta
04-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by eagle300
download the video for this scene on daniel's webpage and he shows a wireframe with all the dirt.

:eek: That looks sooo real

JuRrAsStOiL
04-25-2002, 02:27 AM
oh, sorry I didn't watch the image or video, cause I
thaught I got it in mind ... well take look at this:
http://www.3dluvr.com/content/artz/feature/feature27.php

eagle300
04-25-2002, 07:59 PM
GOOOD NIGHT! it looks like it took hours to put every single little pebble on that scene! there's got to be a max script or plugin that does it faster and easier than stone by stone. anyone see anything out on the web? i haven't found anything as of yet. but i tell ya, if there was a plugin for it, i'd make most outdoor scenes look more realistic!
tj

vts31
04-29-2002, 12:34 PM
most of it is texture. bump map. For the rest he used 4 or 5 differemt varieties of rocks and he used MAX's scatter option.

-wT-
04-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Ok I'm now talking as a Maya user.

What I've been using to position stuff to a ground plane for rendering (For an example, my 10 000 poly WIP Viper I've shown in the WIP Gallery), is to make the wanted object rigid body and make it collide with the groundplane!
If I would have to do small rocks into a scene right now, I would first make some small stone like poly objects with a few polys, maybe do a simple MEL script to randomize abit their vertex positions so those would look more random, then just make those rigid bodies and add some wind and rotation and gravity so the "rocks" would drop and bounce around and so on...

I can't remember the capabilites of MAX anymore, it's too long since I used it, but I think there should be atleast some rigid body dynamics in it too?

Marcel
05-02-2002, 01:40 AM
With MAX you could use the scatter object. It randomly places one or more copies of an object on the surface of another object. You would have to use a few different pebbles though, to make it look good.

Rigid body dynamics in Max are not very usefull for the method you described, probably half the pebles would fall mysteriously through the floor. And you would have to setup all the pebbles by hand :)

Marcel

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.