PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up position object and animated meshes

Steve Green
07-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi,

one thing I've found with Pflow is that emitting particles from an animated deforming mesh is pretty sluggish compared to spawning from objects which are just animating their transform.

I know you can cache it, which is fine once you have the look nailed down, but is not that useful while you're developing a look.

So, are there any tricks ro speed up performance apart from the cache?

Thanks,

Steve

ArtiZta
07-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi,
one thing I've found with Pflow is that emitting particles from an animated deforming mesh is pretty sluggish compared to spawning from objects which are just animating their transform.

I know you can cache it, which is fine once you have the look nailed down, but is not that useful while you're developing a look.
So, are there any tricks ro speed up performance apart from the cache?
Steve

Have you tried reducing mesh detail? or you need to emit perfect from each detail of the mesh? Are you emitting from face, edge or vertex? Usually it has different effects.

Steve Green
07-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi,

usually face, but it could be vertex or edge - whatever's quickest.

I've reduced the meshcount as much as I could, but it's still pretty slow.

Cheers,

Steve

Bobo
07-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi,

usually face, but it could be vertex or edge - whatever's quickest.

I've reduced the meshcount as much as I could, but it's still pretty slow.

Cheers,

Steve

Well, all original geometry-based operators in PFlow (the ones that shipped in Max 5.5 / 6) do not have any acceleration structures, they are pretty much brute force. For example, filling a volume with particles is painful.

PFlow Tools Box #3 on the other hand performs VERY fast in the same cases, so a DataOp implementing the same functionality as Position Object would be orders of magnitude faster. Of course, it comes with an extra price tag, but I just wanted to mention it.

For cases like the Position Object > Volume, I can also recommend the Krakatoa Geometry Test which is even faster. If you don't render on a network, it comes basically for free with the evaluation version of Krakatoa.

Bobo
07-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Oh, and we are planning to include some more geometry-related operators in future Krakatoa versions. So far they appear to be about 3 times as fast as comparable Box #3 operators, but of course less flexible as a DataOp... I really like Box #3. :)

Steve Green
07-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Cool, thanks - I'll check out the demos.

Cheers

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2008, 06:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.