PDA

View Full Version : result of studing walk cycle

farhad2008
07-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Hello to everybody!
I'm new to animation, and at this moment I study walkcycles.
This is the result of my studies.
Please any coments and critiques to fix and make better my animation of this walkcycle.

Here's link to my animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCyriP9TclQ

DevIII
07-20-2008, 04:51 PM
the knees seem a bit to dynamic, maybe the hip has to much motion and you need to pull the feet in slightly as they pass.

this was arealy good only slight adjustments and you got it. i think you have appropraite amounts of motion for the head and the chest, and we can't see the fingures so their irrelevant.

flatliner684
07-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Good work. Its looking good from the side profile, but from the front i noticed a few things were off to, as devIII has commented. I did a quick search on youtube and found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-W4hQU2fq0

I'm aware that models don't really walk naturally, but it should work as a good reference point. Just some quick comparisons I noticed; At the moment, from the front, the feet are quite far apart. When walking they should really stay close, under the trunk of the body. You can also see that the pelvis really doesn't move much at all. Also, the arms don't sway as much from the shoulders as they do from the elbows.

Of course, it all depends on what kind of walk or body language your going for. but i hope it helps. Good work, looking forward to seeing your updates.

andrewmartin
07-22-2008, 12:44 AM
The thing that stands out most to me is the hips in the front view.

I agree with what DevIII said, there's too much movement there. Try bringing the feet closer together to make that easier.

It looks good though. Nice fluid motion.

kandyRabitz22
07-24-2008, 03:56 AM
I noticed that the knees seem to be "snapping". Try not bringing the leg to a complete full extension. I think if it comes close to full extension but not all the way it will look better. Also I think the timing of him shifting his weight is slightly off. He seems to halt his left side too long while his right side is stepping forward. The "pause" in his weight shift doesn't quite look right. Maybe there would be more of a constant motion?

Amended-
Yeah I see it I think. There is a very brief pause where the back foot is waiting for the front foot. They aren't in constant motion.

kandyRabitz22
07-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Also I think there a-little too much left-right hip swing. Just a-little. Maybe, I dunno try toning it down and see if it looks better.

JesseGraffam
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
He needs more instep. If you watch people walk, they tend to step somewhat in front of the other foot. It could be slight or could be really obvious, like how a model would walk down a runway.

switchblade327
07-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Good work. Its looking good from the side profile, but from the front i noticed a few things were off to, as devIII has commented. I did a quick search on youtube and found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-W4hQU2fq0

I'm aware that models don't really walk naturally, but it should work as a good reference point. Just some quick comparisons I noticed; At the moment, from the front, the feet are quite far apart. When walking they should really stay close, under the trunk of the body. You can also see that the pelvis really doesn't move much at all. Also, the arms don't sway as much from the shoulders as they do from the elbows.

Of course, it all depends on what kind of walk or body language your going for. but i hope it helps. Good work, looking forward to seeing your updates.

Agreed, the side view definitely holds up best but from the front is where it needs the most work. The legs are too far apart and too linear on their front to back axis. The motion on the chest has a lot of attitude but it feels a little seperated from the rest of his torso; just a little adjustment is necessary here, not much.

As someone already mentioned, the legs are hyper extending and it looks like his arms are too.

Have you tried stetching it out maybe 2-6 frames per loop? It might look a little better if it were a just little bit slower.

Also, when posting this stuff on youTube, you show let it run for a while longer. It's hard to evaluate an anim when you have to hit PLAY every three seconds.

It's a really good start though, especially for someone new to animation.

farhad2008
08-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Hello to everybody.
Thank you for all your comments, it helped me to see my mistakes.
Here's the link to the fixed walk cycle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xyf7pDvrto

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2008, 08:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.